Eb Travel Tuba?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bobbyp, May 20, 2011.

1. bobbyp

bobbyp Member

Just out of interest...

Most people in the UK use an Eb as their Bass Tuba right? So in regards to the travel tubas/childrens tubas that are in the market at the moment, how many people would be interested in one of a similar size, still rotary valves, but in Eb? And furthermore with the fourth valve still in the left hand?

2. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Ask the mods to put a poll on this

3. John_D

John_D Member

I think that something small(ish) and with rotary valve is going to put a lot of brass band players off.

4. My experience with small bore basses is that the sound is too thin to beacceptable. I realise that is a pretty broad statement.

5. bobbyp

bobbyp Member

Obviously I'm not thinking of replacing band instruments or having someone use it as their main instrument. I'm thinking along the lines of a practice tuba, like the idea of the Meinl Weston, but more accessible to British players, so something to travel round with or take on holiday when you don't want to lug around your main instrument, especially if you're travelling by public transport or by plane. Or even as a teaching instrument.

There's many uses for it I'm just thinking along the lines of that the F version is not much use to british players, but an Eb would make it that much more attractive, but would british players have use one and therefore buy one?

6. Despot

Despot Member

7. bobbyp

bobbyp Member

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

9. bobbyp

bobbyp Member

Yes they ARE travel tubas...hence their names the 'Meinl Weston 14 TRAVEL Tuba'

And i dont think I'm mistaken in thinking that Mr Baadsviks Tuba is still a 4/4 size Tuba, whereas these TRAVEL Tubas are smaller than a euphonium, with 9" bells and only standing 22" tall.

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

My error ... apologies!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Eb Travel
    Eb
    Bass Tuba
    UK
    travel tubas
  12. Laserbeam bass

Simply put I would not be interested in a travel tuba, because personally I can't see any benefit. The times I travel, I play. The last thing I want to do is take a tuba on Holiday.

If you can't lug your bass about, then play something else.

13. JDH

JDH Member

As the owner of a travel tuba, I can say it is something one does not realise how useful it will be until having. Examples;

It is small enough to take as cabin luggage on holiday, so when away while the wife is out shopping, or laying on the beach, I can be keeping up my chops in practising, getting solo up to speed for concert on my return, or just enjoy playing for the pleasure it gives me.

If living in city, do not have to transport an unwieldy big tuba on public transport. Can leave the full size tuba at band, then practice at home using the travel tuba. If living in apartment it does not take up much space to store (keeping the wife happy) while practising does not shake the floors to drive the neighbours mad. Can even play late at night by inserting a practice mute of trombone size.

If got a small kid interested in playing the tuba, this is a great instrument to start the youngster as not too big to hold (about size of tenor horn), or heavy - so no longer trouble getting a bass in your junior training band.

For orchestral playing, ideal for those high register solo passages us tuba players often fear, or to provide a light tone when desired by the conductor.

And blown really hard, not bad to cover trombone parts - can provide that real 'barking' sound (also useful for Italian cimbasso parts in orchestra).

Lastly, a real fun thing to play and speaking from experience I can say a real magnet to the ladies - they all love my baby tuba! :p

14. JDH

JDH Member

...and I forgot to say if living in country, great to go out hiking with travel tuba on nice summer's day and practice in the great outside, rather than in stuffy house where you do not dare to open the windows while playing for annoying the neighbours ;)

15. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

And for those of us who play BB and like piston valves?

I know courtois make a BB the SIZE of an Eb, but it weighs the same (if not more) than a Sov BB. Plus the tighter wrap gives it some funny playing characteristics. (Not necessarily detrimental - just different.)

PS - If I take a tuba with me, than by definition, I'm not on holiday!!

16. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Buy 9 vuvuzelas while on holiday and sellotape them end to end. You don't need valves - BBb players never use them as intended anyway!

17. JDH

JDH Member

Incredibly I forgot to mention the area where I have found my travel tuba most useful of all, for standing gigs. No, it is not suitable for the Whit Friday's, but ideal for playing carols outside Tesco at Christmas, or for Jazz group. At 3kg I can stand playing all day with no strain and feel quite liberated.

As you can tell I am quite in love with my travel tuba. It will not replace having a full size tuba any more than an iPhone will replace having PC, but a really useful addition that once had, do not want to be without!

18. Laserbeam bass

A dying breed

It probably weighs a bit more, and the peculiarities go the more you play it. The main advantage is the size means that the average bass player can rest it on their lap, unlike the Sov

Couldn't agree more.

19. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

:oops:

That should, of course, have read 'as well.' (I don't pretend to do anything particularly well....)

20. bobbyp

bobbyp Member

Okay if you play just BBb then what would you think of a Bb Travel Tuba?

The idea of rotary valved is that theyre available much smaller than a piston valve instrument. You could argue that it would be too different with rotary valves, but you could have the fourth valve in the left hand like your piston tuba (which was also a question in my original post) and if it was as small but also piston, it would still be very different.

Obviously if playing is just a hobby and the only time you play is in the band room or you dont do anything that Jonathan has mentioned then fair enough, but my original question was who would be interested in one. I.e. for those people who could use them would they buy them?

21. bobbyp

bobbyp Member

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Eb Travel
    Eb
    Bass Tuba
    UK
    travel tubas