eb bass solos/bass features

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bigman_holland, Feb 24, 2009.

1. can anyone help? i am a eb bass player who has gone through all the solos in our band library. well, the ones to my standard.lol. can anyone suggest any for me to try? can i try before i buy? the solos i have recently played are bombastic bombarden, nellie the elephant, the ploughboy, teddy bears picnic and bass in the ballroom. i like the novalty solos. anyone tried one foot in the grave?
    is there any nice solos which are quite slow to show off your sound?
    also, we now have a solid bass section at last. having 2 eb and 2 bb. any good bass features?
  2. jonesbp

jonesbp Member

There is a good arrangement of the Bare neccessities for Bass Duet and Band by Jon Bennett. The solo parts are scored for EEb's or BBb's.
  3. Eb_Alex

Eb_Alex Member

I have just started practising Send in the Clowns, thats a lovely Eb Bass solo and I am hoping it will serve me well over the next year after exhausting Teddy Bears Picnic and Nellie the Elephant recently.
  4. HornMaster

HornMaster Member

I seem to remember there's an Eb Bass solo of Londonderry Air
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I was given exclusive permission by Michel Colombier's estate to arrange his electric bass solo, Dreamland, for EEb Bass & band. This is one of the solos that helped get the late Jaco Pastorius legendary status. It was premiered on tuba by Jim Gourlay a couple of years ago and is one a few ditties I have released for publication.

Sound sample here and distributed here.
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Oh, I must mention that I have never heard a live performance of Dreamland yet, but I have uploaded my custom MIDI mp3 version here if you want to download and listen to the full arrangement.
  7. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I've played One foot in the grave a few times, nice and easy but still a crowd pleaser. If you want to show your sound off the Tuba Smarties is another good one - some may scoff - but again it's still a crowd pleaser.

There are other threads on here that will throw up loads more suggestions. Just do a search :tup
  8. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Standing on the Promises by Erik Silfverberg;
    A jazzy solo based on the well-known American gospel song 'I'm standing on the promises of God'. Tuba soloists are normally 'allowed' to play seated but, keeping the title in mind, they may wish to play standing on this occasion!

Get Down by Graham Lloyd;
    An acclaimed addition to the tuba repertoire, Get Down has a dream-like opening followed by up-tempo passages that demand dexterity from the soloist and real excitement in the accompaniment.
  9. steve butler

Can we see or hear a snippet, to get an idea of the piece?
  10. anychance of emailing or sending me a copy of the solo of one foot in the grave?
  11. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I don't believe it!!
    Very appropiate Steve you old codger!!:D
  12. steve butler

B***h! :ranting2:

Shame there's not a smiley with a walking stick :D
    I used to wear a flat cap when I played it :redface:

Oh and Bigman, we have to obey the copyright laws don't forget,
  13. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

He Wipes The Tear

Perfection music Steve Sykes

realy shows off your sound
  14. BoBoHowell

BoBoHowell New Member

I have heard that there is a quality arrangement of bluebells of scotland for BBb bass but also arranged for EEb bass by the very talented gethyn rees of the amazing tredegar town band