Eb bass slow melody ideas?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by longlivetuba, Jan 22, 2012.

1. longlivetuba

longlivetuba New Member

Hi there,

I am looking to enter some slow melody contests and am looking for ideas of what to play. Anyone got any ideas?

I want to do well so would like to play something that would give me a chance.
  2. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

rocked in the cradle of the deep
    Bring Him Home - don't know if this is available for bass
  3. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

"Broken Melody" ( August von Bien) ~ I won many a "Bass Special Medal" with it because it covers a good range and it's a good show off piece. In one bar it actually slurs from middle g (2nd line) to top B natural ~ Impressive if it comes off !

- Mr Wilx
  4. winterman

winterman Member

A slightly high one for Eb but try the arrangement Gabriels Oboe by Baadsvik. I was just putting my finishing touches to it when I got dumped on Bb Bass (and apparently nobody wants to hear them actually anything musical :/).

Beautiful piece.
  5. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

The Iceberg is great on Eb Bass - heard Jim Tew of VBS Poynton play it many a time, and always a pleasure. :D The other one is Abide With Me. Lovely.
  6. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

There is a fantastic arrangement of Una Furtiva Lagrima! (I believe Brassneck did it)
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

You'll have the only remaining copy of the solo Pat! I don't think that my next project (here, still to be scored for band) will be suitable.
  8. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I think you mean the Liddle arrangement of Abide with me ~ It is a truly lovely tune and full of emotion. I used it a few times at SM contests and really enjoyed playing it. I also did Iceberg a couple of times but it didn't float my boat Ha ! Ha !

- Mr Wilx
  9. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

The Andante from Capuzzi's Andante and Rondo is lovely
  10. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

Ah! Mose-Fantasia. I arranged that for euph/piano some time last year. Great piece, and I see that it makes an excellent Eb bass solo too.
  11. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Would'nt have thought the Capuzzi was right for a slow med comp. (nice piece though) but then again I've never done one! Do they have accomps. at these things? If not then I would go for something like the abide with me to really get some feeling across.

PS I still have a copy of broken melody copied out in Mr wilx' fair hand, lovely piece though needs a very confident approach,
  12. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I agree about the Capuzzi, it's more like an Air Varie.

The original hand written manuscript of B.Melody was given to me by an aged bass player called Albany Chadwick when I was 17 years old and that's when I copied it out.
    Now, in the blink of an eye, I'm an aged bass player ~ Tempus Fugit !
    I agree that the Liddle "Abide With Me" is a really good piece with lots of expressive opportunities.

- Mr Wilx
  13. Accidental

I suggested the Capuzzi because I remember a very good youth EEb player playing the Andante at loads of slow melody competitions and wiping the floor with all the cornet/horn/euph players!
  14. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I bow to your experience then Alex. As I say, I've never done or even been to one, just had this idea that it was about playing a 'slow melody'.
    Must surely had accomp? Can't see it working without.
  15. Accidental

first time for everything Mr B ;)
    I know what you mean about the 'slow'ness (there's a lot of black notes in it!), but he used to take it very steady and it sounded great with a piano accomp.
  16. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

I've played the cornet solos Prayer of Childhood and Someone Cares on tuba in the past, although not in a solo competition.
    Prayer of Childhood is in concert Eb so there are quite a few top Cs for Eb tuba. Someone Cares has a couple of key changes but I think B is as high as it goes.
  17. bobbyp

bobbyp Member

Baadsviks 'Ordner Seg'?
  18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Roland Szentpali used it as an F tuba solo when he recorded it a few years back. On an EEb bass that would mean climbing up to a high F in the introduction when the melody climbs in pitch. Problem is reinventing the accompaniment for band as it is pretty lacklustre throughout. It's recogmised more as a contrabass solo these days rather than violin.

I've found a copy of the Donizetti ... view it here
  19. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

I agree entirely. That's why I also arranged it with piano accompaniment. Perhaps I may have another look at it (unless you intend doing something for band - I wouldn't wish to cut across anything you may have planned).
  20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've already notified & sent the part (Paganini) to one of the, let's say, "better" pro tuba players for appraisal. I've committed to arranging it for soloist and band.