Eb bass slow melody ideas?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by longlivetuba, Jan 22, 2012.

1. longlivetuba

longlivetuba New Member

Hi there,

I am looking to enter some slow melody contests and am looking for ideas of what to play. Anyone got any ideas?

I want to do well so would like to play something that would give me a chance.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Eb
    Eb bass slow melody ideas
    slow melody contests
    chance
  3. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

rocked in the cradle of the deep
    Bring Him Home - don't know if this is available for bass

4. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

"Broken Melody" ( August von Bien) ~ I won many a "Bass Special Medal" with it because it covers a good range and it's a good show off piece. In one bar it actually slurs from middle g (2nd line) to top B natural ~ Impressive if it comes off !

- Mr Wilx

5. winterman

winterman Member

A slightly high one for Eb but try the arrangement Gabriels Oboe by Baadsvik. I was just putting my finishing touches to it when I got dumped on Bb Bass (and apparently nobody wants to hear them actually anything musical :/).

Beautiful piece.

6. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

The Iceberg is great on Eb Bass - heard Jim Tew of VBS Poynton play it many a time, and always a pleasure. :D The other one is Abide With Me. Lovely.

7. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

There is a fantastic arrangement of Una Furtiva Lagrima! (I believe Brassneck did it)

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

You'll have the only remaining copy of the solo Pat! I don't think that my next project (here, still to be scored for band) will be suitable.

9. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I think you mean the Liddle arrangement of Abide with me ~ It is a truly lovely tune and full of emotion. I used it a few times at SM contests and really enjoyed playing it. I also did Iceberg a couple of times but it didn't float my boat Ha ! Ha !

- Mr Wilx

10. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

The Andante from Capuzzi's Andante and Rondo is lovely

11. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

Ah! Mose-Fantasia. I arranged that for euph/piano some time last year. Great piece, and I see that it makes an excellent Eb bass solo too.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Eb
    Eb bass slow melody ideas
    slow melody contests
    chance
  13. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Would'nt have thought the Capuzzi was right for a slow med comp. (nice piece though) but then again I've never done one! Do they have accomps. at these things? If not then I would go for something like the abide with me to really get some feeling across.

PS I still have a copy of broken melody copied out in Mr wilx' fair hand, lovely piece though needs a very confident approach,

14. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I agree about the Capuzzi, it's more like an Air Varie.

The original hand written manuscript of B.Melody was given to me by an aged bass player called Albany Chadwick when I was 17 years old and that's when I copied it out.
    Now, in the blink of an eye, I'm an aged bass player ~ Tempus Fugit !
    I agree that the Liddle "Abide With Me" is a really good piece with lots of expressive opportunities.

- Mr Wilx

15. Accidental

I suggested the Capuzzi because I remember a very good youth EEb player playing the Andante at loads of slow melody competitions and wiping the floor with all the cornet/horn/euph players!

16. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I bow to your experience then Alex. As I say, I've never done or even been to one, just had this idea that it was about playing a 'slow melody'.
    Must surely had accomp? Can't see it working without.

17. Accidental

first time for everything Mr B ;)
    I know what you mean about the 'slow'ness (there's a lot of black notes in it!), but he used to take it very steady and it sounded great with a piano accomp.

18. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

I've played the cornet solos Prayer of Childhood and Someone Cares on tuba in the past, although not in a solo competition.
    Prayer of Childhood is in concert Eb so there are quite a few top Cs for Eb tuba. Someone Cares has a couple of key changes but I think B is as high as it goes.

19. bobbyp

bobbyp Member

Baadsviks 'Ordner Seg'?

20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Roland Szentpali used it as an F tuba solo when he recorded it a few years back. On an EEb bass that would mean climbing up to a high F in the introduction when the melody climbs in pitch. Problem is reinventing the accompaniment for band as it is pretty lacklustre throughout. It's recogmised more as a contrabass solo these days rather than violin.

I've found a copy of the Donizetti ... view it here

21. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

I agree entirely. That's why I also arranged it with piano accompaniment. Perhaps I may have another look at it (unless you intend doing something for band - I wouldn't wish to cut across anything you may have planned).

22. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've already notified & sent the part (Paganini) to one of the, let's say, "better" pro tuba players for appraisal. I've committed to arranging it for soloist and band.