Eb Bass Mouthpieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bigman_holland, Jul 12, 2011.

1. I am currently playing with a Kelly plastic mouthpiece size 24AW. I sometimes struggle reaching the lower register of notes at a decent volume say from F# down. Can anyone suggest a mouthpiece which can improve this aswell as give me a better sound over the whole register.
    thanks.:)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Eb Bass Mouthpieces
    DW3l
    nall
    favourites
  3. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

Throw the plastic mouthpiece in the bin.:wink:

4. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Seconded :biggrin:

5. fatcontroler

fatcontroler Member

I have found that for the first 10-15 minutes the plastic mouthpiece seems to give me a better sound........then it turns ****. Only useful for rememberance marches!

6. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

There are plenty of threads regarding plastic mouthpieces. They didn't personally work for me, I too struggled with the lower register. I had a what I can only describe as an uncontrolable wobble however the higher register was fine. I had to rebuild my playing almost from scratch and had a lesson or two from Les Neish who recommend a 4L wick (I think, I haven't got it with me!!)

Mouthpieces are a personal thing, I hope you find the right one for you:tup

7. thankyou for those replies, however none are very informative with suggestions of which mouthpiece i should be wanting to replace it with.

8. cheers stella ;)

9. pbirch

pbirch Member

thirded, keep the plastic one for the odd occaision when you are playing Christmas carols when the temperature dips below -2.
    As to a replacement, well a Vincent Bach 24AW would be a good choice, it gives a solid lower register and good projection. See if you can try one before you buy, or try several and see which one suits you and gives you the sort of sound that you want

10. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

If you're otherwise happy with the plastic 24AW try a metal one - it's a good mouthpiece and the weight of the metal may be all you need.

11. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Your choice of a VB24AW copy is a good one, and I think you'll struggle to find a mouthpiece with a better overall versitility and sound throughout the range. I would highly recommend getting a metal one though. Either a genuine Bach or a copy. (Of which several are available.) That on it's own should solve the low-register firepower issue.

One thing to note though - as an Eb player, the times when you descend below the low G should be very rare, as the BBs will be covering down there most of the time and the tuning between BBs and Ebs down there is often pretty inconsistent. Generally in section-playing you're better off leaving notes like that alone as however good the player, an Eb tone can really muddy the waters down there.

If your passion is playing low, maybe some time on BB would be enjoyable for you?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Eb Bass Mouthpieces
    DW3l
    nall
    favourites
  13. cheers guys...think i will defo be trying a few new pieces out over the next few weeks. thanks for all your suggestions.

14. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

I play on an peratucci 24+ on Eb bass... It's deeper so a Great lower register and I find it easier up the register than a normal back 24aw...

15. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Get to the Music Cellar and try what they have. They have Wicks, Bachs and Mike Finns. I'll wager you'll come away with a Mike Finn 4.

16. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

The 24aw is quite a big mouthpiece for Eb Bass. If its lower end your struggling on i would have to suggest it probably isn't the mouthpiece thats causing the issue if thats your weapon of choice!!! Les Neish would play on a 3L or at least used to when I sat near him.....His low end was.........aggressive enough when he needed it. While I am by no means no expert, i would suggest its a bit like my mate who was into cycling, he spent hours and hours and pounds and pounds researching ways so save little bits of weight here and there on his bike in an attempt to make his bike go faster, eventually he worked out his best and cheapest option was to get weight off him self..... Don't get tied down with mouthpiece selection, all that will happen is you will end up joining a nerdy tuba club and wonder around conferences and symposiums dressed in jeans and a waistcoat asking tuba stars what mouthpiece they play on!!!! Just get your 24 in your Tuba and play a load of long notes at various dynamics, crescendo's etc. Concentrate on getting your corners down and your jaw out ala Marlon Brando in Godfather 1.......

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'll go with this advice. After a forced lay-off for a couple of years, I'm using a DW5 to get my muscle groups working until I have the strength and stamina to move back to my normal MPC (a Giddings & Webster Matanuska ... sim. to DW3 & 24AW).

18. pbirch

pbirch Member

the Denis Wick mouthpiece blurb claims that the 3L is equivalent to the VB24AW, so I don't think you can claim it is a big mouthpiece for the Eb tuba. I play with a PT24+ and the Perantucci blurb says that it works well with BBb CC and Eb tubas.
    the problem with asking a question like this is that we will all tell you that the mouthpiece we use is the best, or tell you what our favourite star player uses, and that is not particularly helpful to you, some players passionately advocate Bach, others detest them, the same is true of the Denis Wicks, Perantucci and all other brands as well.
    no one has yet mentioned a budget: Wick and Bach are around £60-70 AndyCats Mike Finn suggestion (and I believe he knows what he is talking about) is going to be around £120, so you need to take that into consideration as well

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  19. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

The 24 is more akin to the 2L anything bigger than that is going into Bb bass territory. I don't get this putting players on a 1L or a 22 or these new weird and wonderful things. Very big isn't always best. I certainly don't get putting young players on big mouthpieces which I'm seeing more and more of. Ideally learn to fill a smaller tuba with a smaller iron then move on I'd say.

20. pbirch

pbirch Member

With respect, you are incorrect, the 2L is more akin to the VB18, which is a very big mouthpiece. Where you do have a point is that very big is not always the best route for Eb or Bb tubas. The question was what to use instead of a Kelly 24AW, and a Bach 24AW, or a metal copy of it, would be a very reasonable suggestion

21. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Got home last night and checked Its a 3L I use

22. covkiddownunder

covkiddownunder New Member

Mouthpiece choice is a subjective thing, but if I was going to offer any advice re. the plastic one it would be to stick it in your case and only pull it out on Remembrance Sunday or other outdoor gigs when it gets a bit cold.
    My progression through the mouthpieces (just FYI) have been Denis Wick 2 (only when I was a kid, I haven't used a Wick now for 25 years, not a huge fan) Then a Bach 24AW (on the advice of my old mate Paul Thomas) Toyed with a Bach 18 (with a turned down shank on an Imperial which worked brilliantly)
    Had a bit of a dabble with Conn Helleberg (both sizes) but wasn't totally happy with the sound they produced (especially in a band)
    I've played on a Perantucci 24+ and while I quite liked it, it didn't really give the response and sound I was looking for. (totally personal preference)
    Today, my weapons of choice are a Perantucci 84, which I find a fantastic choice on either EEb or BBb and a Perantucci 65 (which gives a brighter sound and is great for small ensemble and solo work)
    Right now I'm totally happy with these and not looking to change. I never say never though, if something better came along, I'd consider it.
    FYI Craig Rhodes, (my section mate at Dalewool) plays BBb on a PT88 which is absolutely huge and would only recommend this to total meatheads with 3 lungs. In the right hands, however it would make the tuba sound like the organ in Westminster Abbey!! ;-)