Eating noises - do they bother you?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by MoominDave, Nov 30, 2010.

?

Do minor eating noises bother you?

1. Yes! Why must people eat like pigs?!

15 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. Yes. But I'd never consider it worth mentioning - it's so minor.

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. No. Chill out, people!

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  1. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I just had a vigorous debate with my office mate about the propriety of my eating breakfast in the office. His (aggressively presented from the start) position boiled down to "Your slurping noises when eating cereal with milk annoy me", although he tried to drag in various peripheral points to bolster it (supposed unprofessionalism of eating in the office [eh?], table manners [well, arguably there's a point there, but it's pretty subjective], how he treats his parents the same way [no need to say anything, really], etc.).

To me it simply seems crazily sensitive to object to the noises others make when eating, especially when they are actually quite quiet (as here), and after a bit of an attempt at not provoking him, but also not just accepting the blame he was projecting, I simply told him so [which didn't really help matters...], and further pointed out some of the slightly irritating things he does [quite a few]. But a quick Google search suggests that he is not alone in his sensitivity, and that there is a name for the condition of suffering unduly from such things: Misophonia.

We got it worked out in the end :) I told him that I'd pretend that he'd asked in a nice way ("I've got this weird thing... Could you do me a favour... Sensitive to slurping noises..."), and that I'd give him the response he'd have got if he'd done that - to promise to try to eat more quietly. I would also have pointed out that I considered getting "offended" by it quite unreasonable, but I felt that that point was already very well made...

So where do you stand? Do other people's minor eating noises drive you mad? Or do people who get driven mad by them leave you baffled?

2. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Minor eating noises aren't a problem for me, although major slurping and lip-smacking can be.... :rolleyes:

But please, never eat when you're on the phone: at one job, I had a guy who called every day at about 11:00, when he was having his mid-morning apple :mad:

3. MoominDave

Yep, we're talking about minor here, unless my perceptions are completely skew-whiff on this one. And, to boot, minor noises that occur for 5 minutes on only some days. Looking at the things people have posted in various places online, it's not the scale of the noises that bothers people who get bothered by them, but the existence of the noise at all.

4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Instead of slurping milk, may I recommend Activia Pouring Yoghurt? Really lovely on Fruit 'n' Fibre or even Shreddies and no slurping noises. The vanilla flavour is my favourite! :tup

5. MoominDave

Think it might form an effective cement when mixed with muesli...

6. nethers

nethers Active Member

Assuming you eat with your mouth closed, pausing occasionally for breath, not playing a concerto with the crisp packet etc. I guess you probably shouldn't be killed.

Lived with someone once who seemed to think eating should be a shared activity, to be enjoyed by everyone else within spitting and audio range. I'd have beaten him to death happily one time I was in a silent room, but I was reading a paperback Terry Pratchett book at the time which just wasn't up to the task.

Dave - you could follow your co-worker to the lav and comment on the volume of his peeing, or maybe offer some suggestions on how to type in a quieter, less annoying way.

Off topic, what really winds me up? The sound of someone tapping away at a mobile phone in a quiet room. And the sound of tea being slowly poured from a tea pot. I'll go lie down now.

7. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

You know what really gets up my nose?

The sound of my housemate breathing.

In fact, I think I shall rectify that right now.

*Picks up hammer*

On a more serious note, eating noises don't bother me as I tend to zone things out (Due to hearing deficiency).

However, one thing that really pees me off is people whistling down the phone.

Sometimes I wish phones would come with a slap function.

8. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

The odd slurp doesn't really bother me, I know it's generally unavoidable when eating cereal. But what really gets my goat is people who can't eat a meal (or even a single bite) without making that disgusting lip smacking for the duration of the entire meal, it really is the height of bad table manners.

9. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

As one who has had breakfast with you on many occasions..... What is he on about? Get a set of those industrial ear muffs and hurl them at him every time you get your bowl out! :roll:

Or bung your muesli into a pot of muller light? That'll be sturdy! Like a giant Muller corner!

10. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Apart from those who insit on talking while they are eating, I have no gripes about this. However, I can't stand the sight of babies feeding, so ladies, please go somewhere private before you get your baps out. I think it might be jealousy, but there you go. ;-)

(*Tone! Don't you dare! ;-))

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Eating noises
    office
    slurping noises
    eating cereal
    eating breakfast
  12. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

The only thing I have an issue with now is eating food with my damn fixed braces! I'm so self conscious that when I have finished eating with other people that I have half my dinner still stuck in them.

13. julestools

julestools Active Member

Feed away babies ;) At least it keeps the little ******s quiet

xx

Jules

14. hicks

hicks Member

Simple solution there. Just don't look ;)

15. Ginge

Ginge Member

I started a thread about a similar situation a while ago.

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=39000&highlight=eating+manner

I was refering to major eating noises though. By the sound of it you are just eating normaly. I have no problem with the noise made by simply eating normaly.
    However, cereal eating affects me (the slurping noise). Also, the drinking of hot drinks. They can be drunk like cold drinks, no need to slurp!
    I'm not having a go at you by the way, I have never heard you eat!
    I think some people just get affected by this and can't help but get annoyed.

16. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

My jaw cracks. Does this constitute an eating noise?

17. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Dont bother me at all its all part of eating habbits but remember this;
    Let the wind go free where ever you may be and sod all those around you !!!!;)

18. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

Good job I don't stand anywhere near you when I visit Anfield - but of course, nobody at Anfield is anywhere near you on a matchday!