Eating Chicken At All?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Oct 27, 2005.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

So as your resident Butcher on here.
    A question to you all:
    With the fears of Bird Flu coming into this country;
    Who as stopped eating Chicken and who is still eating Chicken?
    Also will you still have your POULTRY for Christmas or will you opt for something else instead?
    Your views please
  2. rutty

rutty Active Member

I'm just about to head to the corner shop to buy myself a lovely Oriental Chicken with mayonaisse sarnie. This ensures that I have maximum exposure to both Avian Flu (first seen in Asia I believe) and also salmonella from the egg in the mayo.

Unless there's any evidence to suggest that eating chicken passes this onto humans then I shall continue to tuck into it, or any other kind of meat for that matter. Not human flesh though, I dont eat that.
  3. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

just about to have a chicken curry, so nope i wont be stoping
  4. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Chicken and Pasta at lunchtime. Not stopping me!
  5. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

A few salient points:

1) We don't have Bird 'Flu in the UK and have banned importation of birds or products from each and every country that has, so the poultry available to eat at the moment is not infected.

2) There is no risk of catching Bird Flu from eating properly cooked meat or from eating eggs (cooked or not). There is a small chance of catching it from faeces on the eggshell or from handling raw meat but you are far more likely to catch E coli or Salmonella this way. Normal cooking / hygeine precautions apply.

3) When Bird Flu does become a problem in the UK, any infected chickens/turkeys will start dying so quickly that it will be obvious that the flock is unfit for human consumption and it won't reach the foodchain.

4) If you really want to be paranoid don't eat free-range Duck, which could become infected without showing signs (except for all the surrounding wild birds dying off of course).

6. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

If we believed everything about food then we wouldnt have anything to eat at all. Bird Flu hasn't reached these shores yet which is good enough for me, i'll still eat poultry and enjoy my Turkey at Christmas regardless!

All this scare mongering (especially by the Daily Mail who if you believe them then we're all gonna die of Bird Flu tomorrow) is just ridiculous. It'll either happen or it wont.
  7. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

British beef is not allowed into the USA because of the risk of mad cow disease. So the 300,00+ meals donated to Hurricane Katrina victims by the UK have not been accepted.

Late night comedian Conan O'Brien quipped "A U.S. government spokesperson explained that the Katrina victims have suffered enough.":)

(Thanks to Time magazine)
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:eek: ...
  9. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

It really is the height of nonsense. Dont eat chicken (or eggs) because of bird flu/salmonella, dont eat beef because of BSE, dont eat certain foods because of preservative X, or contaminated with pesticide Y, or Sudan 1 or whatever... :-?

I wonder what will be next... :-?
  10. eilo15

eilo15 New Member

It is a scary fact about the flu though. If we had to stop eating chicken to save us from the flu, I'd do it, but I am a chicken fan I'm afraid. It would be hard.
  11. dyl

dyl Active Member

Yeah, saw this the other day:

And from it:
    ........not good enough for the US, but fine to palm off on the developing world?
  12. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Nope, I'll still be eating the little cluckers. Just as I continued to eat beef during the BSE scare and eggs thoughout the salmonella thing.

It doesn't affect us polar bears anyway.

There was an item on the radio some weeks ago reporting that the food standards agency had started warning against eating a lot of liver regularly because tests had proven that people who did were more likely to develop a certain form of cancer (i forget precisely which form of cancer it was)...but it turned out you had to be eating the equivalent of a pound of it 3 or four nights of the week, every week of the year!!
    I mean come's scare mongering for scare mongering's sake!! Did the honestly believe that there was a significant enough proportion of the populus eating like that to merit the warning?!??
  13. heidnr

heidnr New Member

Bird-flu is currently passed to humans through inhaling dried (and thus dusty) faeces. Perhaps the fact that he slaughtered a load of chickens might be the problem here. After all that work he was hungry and ate some - probably too late by then though
  14. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Exactly - the slaughtering and handling of the carcasses is the infection route, not eating properly cooked meat - the virus is rapidly deactivated by heat.

......and from the same BBC report.....

"The victim had slaughtered and cooked a neighbour's dead chickens. "

How, exactly, do you slaughter a dead chicken??
  15. 2nd man down

That's like a fate WORSE than a fate worse than death...that's pretty baaaaaad!! :eek:

16. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Yep, still eating chicken and definitely Turkey for Christmas!

As for those brave Americans not eating British Beef there are two points to remember.

1: Most will die from being hugely overweight before BSE has a chance to develope.
    2: If you got it, would anybody notice?

:rolleyes: :wink:

*And before any Yank complains this meant as a joke, I'm sure some of you are not overweight and some may even be brave. :D
  17. 2nd man down

Nah, they shot all the Brave's for having the audacity to live there first didn't they? :rolleyes: :biggrin:
    JOKE!! .... Sheesh!! :tongue:
  18. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

Just remember when buying your Christmas turkey............................... don't get the one with a runny nose :biggrin:
  19. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

What a deference a day makes - from the BBC site 26/10:

Quarantine measures in the UK are to be reviewed after a parrot died from the H5N1 strain of bird flu, which is potentially deadly to humans.
    It is thought the parrot, from South America, was infected by another bird from Taiwan in the same Essex compound:

The other worrying thing is that everytime some bird dies (Rumanian, Greece etc) they send it to the UK for testing to find our what strain killed it - surely that's like just asking for trouble?:rolleyes:

Does anyone else find the way the government deals with this somewhat confusing - Chief Medical Officer goes on tv referring to a computer model that has predicted between 50,000 and 750,000 additional deaths due to "flu" which may or may not come from birds.

The three previous pandemics were in 1919, 1958 and 1968; there is apparently a 10 and 40 year cycle to these so statistically it's due to hit soon. Based on this governments handling of foot and mouth stand by for an almighty desimation of the poultry industry in the next 2 years.

Sorry back on thread - yes I will be eating chicken.
  20. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Just checking up on this Thread of mine

Im GLAD:biggrin: to see you are all eating Chicken still THATS GOOD NEWS for us in the BUTCHERS TRADE
    WELL DONE ALL:tup :clap: