Easy/Power breathe - Improving Breathing

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Split Splat, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Split Splat

Split Splat Member

Hi all,
    having wurked darnt pit ont coal face for more years than I care to remember I have found myself with 20% less lung capacity (clinically diagnosed) than that of any other thoroughbred of 42!
    I find that as a consequence I have to breathe more frequently than most!
    Has anyone ever used the Easy or Power Breathe gadgets to help improve breathing and if so did they find that they improved their situation?
    :cool:

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

You could look at The Breathing Gym to maximise what you have ...

[youtube]qEz0ku-oXM4[/youtube]

3. cutter

cutter New Member

I was born with a scoliosis of my thoracic spine (curved back at chest level). I have only 60% of predicted lung capacity for my height (5 foot 6). Never known any different. I can only breathe with diaphragmatic movement. Makes little difference to my life or playing. Most of my band colleagues would not know there was an issue. I breath more frequently than most; most people hardly notice.

Don't use gadgets just learn to shift air quickly, in and out. And don't smoke. Ever.

4. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Due to a childhood illness I only have about 60% of my left lung working. As other guys have said, just take more and bigger breathes. Being a bass player I did have a lot of trouble with long phrases and sustained passages, but generally got around the problem. (Organised shared breathing with bassmate etc.) The only time that others in the band noticed was when I took a very deep breath and sucked the copy off the stand !
    Interestingly, over the years, the general medical opinion of my case was that brass playing has been a great help in exercising the lungs and preventing further deterioration.
    Keep blowing Pete ~ Hard !!

- Mr Wilx

5. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

What Mr Wilx said!

I was advised by my doctor to take up a wind instrument (thank goodness the clarinet/flute etc etc etc teacher didn't know!) When you take into account that, at age 7, I quite often couldn't walk home because I couldn't breathe and had to be dragged/carried. By the time I was 17, My lung capacity was bigger than some of the lads that were Hampshire County runners and my lung pressure broke the machine that measured lung pressure in Physics lessons!