Eastman Germany & Helios UK join forces!

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by chrisjohnston, Aug 7, 2010.

1. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Member

Helios UK have just been appointed sole UK distributor for Eastman Musical instruments from Germany.

Eastman have supplied over 10,000 instruments across Europe since 2004.

Now Helios UK have been appointed for the UK distribution.

New exciting Brass Band range just launched, with some very special introductory offers on line.

Also Music shops dealers are required across the UK

visit www.heliosuk.co.uk

For further information.

Thanks

2. Rhonda

Rhonda Member

Chinese instruments. Nothing special.
    Sorry to be so frank, but I simply can't stand the emphasis on "German" implying quality when you find so many brands as outlets for Chinese instruments. No, Chinese instruments aren't bad by any means.Some are really good, others are simply appalling. I only wish the Chinese would brave selling their instruments as own brands using their own names rather than hiding behind "German" or "French" or whatever descriptions.

http://eastman-instruments.com/de//index.php?m=about_us

Rhonda

3. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

I have no understanding of the German language, but, on the English version of their website, Eastman make the source of their instruments perfectly clear. In fairness, I don't think they can be accused of 'hiding' behind any nationality

"Eastman is a flexible German company with over 10.000 satisfied customers all over Europe during the last three years. We have over 20 years of experience with instrument manufactures in China, where we source our quality brand \"Eastman\"."

In a global market, it is sometimes difficult to know where goods are produced. For example, where is the 2010 Volkswagen Polo being built? That's right, South Africa.

4. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

http://eastman-instruments.com/en/index.php?m=about_us
    They have a site in English too ;)

To be fair, on their website, they call temselves just "Eastman", not "Eastman Germany". They don't hide the afct that the instruments are manufactured in China, but the company is definitely German. And just like Helios (or any other company that imports parts or finished goods from China), I'm sure that they do everything they can to assure the best quality from their suppliers.

What I did notice, is that he helios UK website now automatically forwards to a site about Eastman. Does that mean that there is no longer a "Helios" brand, or are this the same instruments with a new label, coming from the same Chinese supplier?

5. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Member

To Make it as clear as possible

Hi

Just to make things clear for all.

The HeliosUK brand is, and allways will be available, we are upgrading the web site and the HeliosUK brand will be back on there soon.

We have re branded the Helios UK site due the the venture with Eastman.

We are also not trying to cover up where the instruments are made by both brands, both Helios UK & Eastman clearly state made in China.

These days it is very difficult to knock Chinese manufacturers, as the quality of both these brand of instruments are very good indeed. Ask any of our customers & they will tell you the same.

The difference with Eastman is the warehouse & support is in Germany & not all the way to China, much better for European customers.

Hopefully all is clear now.

Chris

6. Rhonda

Rhonda Member

Not with one single word have I suggested that eastman(strange name for a German company anyway) 'hide' the origins of their instruments. I'm talking about the Chinese factories. A real pain are the "German" (grand) pianos. allegedly made according to German patents. If you start looking these patens have run out decades ago or have been improved by the piano manufactorers.
    We looked into french horns and were shocked what is going on. There is hardly an instrument below 2500 Pound not being made in China.
    I would love to see a genuine British company producing a low to mid range series of instruments. That would help Britain.
    My general concern is that people simply seem not to bother or even shrug their shoulders because 'that's the way it is'. No perspective for a recovery.
    Ok, nobody has money to spare but especially with an instrument this money should be spend on a "once in a lifetime" choice.
    And believe me, I know what I'm talking about. I have to have my grnads overhauled at a 5 year intervall. It takes me about 6-9 months to get through a Chinese top range piano. After that overhauling would be a waste .
    And that's what we've experienced with brass instruments as well.

Good "honest" brass instruments made in Germany are definitely top of the range. At least in the classical music world.

As I say. Nothing against Eastman, but the Chinese should start trading under their own brand names.

Rhonda

7. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

How about 伊士曼 then. That would sell a lot of instruments, wouldn't it. 'East' + 'man' is a pretty good description for someone from the Orient, so not entirely inappropriate.

8. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Its funny, but no one bats an eyelid when their i-pod or new hd television is made in China. But when its something really low-tech like a trombone or cornet people think the country couldn't possibly produce one to 'European' standards.
    Its not the place of manufacture that is the problem. Its the suspicion that we are being offered budget instruments (like those on ebay) tarted up a bit and sold at intermediate/professional prices. This suspicion is not eased if there is some attempt to conceal the instruments origins.
    However if peer reviews say they are good and people are happy with their purchases, then the place of manufacture shouldn't be a concern.
    The truth will out when these instruments have some years of use under their belts.

9. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

Britain does not make anything, high prices, low investment and interference between unions and government have made uk manufacturing a thing of the past.

10. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Eclipse
    Taylor
    Spencer Trumpets UK
    Rath Trombones
    Smith-Watkins

They will do for a start:)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    UK
    Helios
    Eastman Musical
    Germany
    Brass Band
  12. Splitzer

Splitzer Member

Add Geneva to that list as they are starting a full band set I think.
    Just like cars we can still do small scale top end stuff, but can no longer compete with the far east in terms of lage scale/mass production. I actually think the whole story of how B&H/Besson went from having a total monopoly in the 80's, and the huge boost of lottery grants to bands in the 90's to pretty much a failed buisness should be the subject of a book which should be required reading for all economics students/ dragons den types.

13. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Cars? - Nissan Made in Sunderland. Hardly small scale top end. If you have a Qashqai chances are it was made in Sunderland

14. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

As a mechanical engineer, who is proud of this country's manufaturing heritage and still believes that we are the World's best engineers, I feel compelled to say this is one of the most inaccurate and mis-guided posts I've read here for a long time.

15. Splitzer

Splitzer Member

I forgot about Nissan, good to see british design and working practices leading the world - Along with the other great british car manufacturer in Swindon - Honda.

16. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

Ok so what I said was an exaggeration, but the truth is that uk manufacturing is only a fraction of what it was and it is mostly down to the influences in my first post. Nissan manufacture in this country as a gateway to Europe. I don't decry any British industry I believe we have the most skilled workers in the world but we simply do not manufacture enough.

17. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Something I find odd... Though maybe it is just a coincidence, given what Geoff pointed out above (i.e. that Eastman is actually quite an obvious choice for a name for a brand from the East...)...

Which came first - this Eastman or the other Eastman? Are there any branding problems related to this overlap? Is Steve Shires aware that there's another company trading under an identical name to his? I'm fairly sure he got in first.