Easter Music

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by John Brooks, Apr 17, 2007.

1. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Having just celebrated Easter I'm wondering why there are no band recordings of Easter music. There are many, many Christmas recordings but, to my knowledge, not one dedicated to Easter.

Here are some suggestions:

Easter Hymn (arr. Brian Bowen)
    The Cross, The Victory (Norman Bearcroft)
    The Challenge of the Cross; The Shadow of the Cross; and The Road to Emmaus (Dean Goffin)
    The King of Kings (Eric Ball)
    For Our Transgressions (Morley Calvert)

What do you think? Good idea or not? What other suggestions do you have?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Easter
    The Victory
    Christmas
    Cross
    The Cross
  3. Bungle

Bungle Member

4. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

I think that a recording of Easter music would be a good idea, and am surprised that SA bands do not appear to have done this. Perhaps, unlike Christmas music, a recording of Easter music is not regarded as being sufficiently commercial?

Some suggestions:

"Easter Glory" by Leslie Condon

"Song of the Eternal" also by Leslie Condon

"Great and Glorious" by George Marshall, although the Easter songs used in this selection have dropped out of general use and are somewhat obscure these days.

"The Old Rugged Cross" arranged as a cornet solo by Erik Leidzen, though this arrangement has often been used as a trombone solo as well.

"The Kingly Crown" by Charles Owen

5. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Maybe some lighter pieces could be included as well...
    e.g.
    "Jesus Christ Superstar"
    "Always look on the bright side of life"

;)

6. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Godspell (arr. Barrie Gott)
    Gethsemane (Soprano Cornet Solo)
    The Cross (Erik Leidzen) - an absolute pelter!
    The Kingdom Triumphant - no one's recorded that in the last few years (JOKE!)
    March - He Lives (Noel Jones)

7. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Christ is Alive! by Kenneth Downie

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I have a recording - I've a feeling from Ottawa - featuring all three of the Dean Goffin pieces.

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned any of the Bramwell Coles pieces such as "The Hill of Calvary".

I'd also love a new recording of Ray Steadman-Allen's "Logos", which is ideal for Easter.

9. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Good shout Peter. I think Chalk Farm recorded that on Viva la Banda a number of years ago and it found its way onto their compilation CD.

10. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

'All in the April Evening' (arr. Eric Ball) would be a good choice as well.

And what about some music from 'Caveleria Rusticana' as well? (Poor spelling!) The Easter Hymn would be nice.

And on an Eric Ball theme, we could have the Eternal Presence. Not really an Easter piece but great nonetheless.

11. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

St Magnus by Kenneth Downie......or the slightly easier version by Ray Steadman Allen.

For our Transgressions by Morley Calvert

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Easter
    The Victory
    Christmas
    Cross
    The Cross
  13. Bungle

Bungle Member

'Thine be the Glory' seems to be Easter Hymn in our church

14. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

So that brings 'Variations on Maccabeus' and 'The Champions' into the frame!

Also, the theme from 'Trittico' can be used as the tune to 'There is a Green Hill Far Away'. Or indeed, there is a lovely Roy Newsome arrangement of another version of that hymn.

Endless choices!

15. David Mann

David Mann Member

Most people would admit to feeling Christmassy in December, but except for Christians I don't think many people feel "Eastery". There is a long period (and getting earlier every year) where it is normal to hear Christmas music on the radio, go to carol concerts etc. I would love to see Easter celebrated like Christmas, but I'm afraid the norm now is to go to B&Q / the seaside / work on Good Friday instead of church.
    Interesting choice of music, though. I'd like to add "God so loved the world" from Stainer's Crucifixion - I don't know if it has been arranged for band or not.

16. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Indeed it has. I think (off the top of my head) it was Albert Jakeway or Charles Skinner who made the transcription, but it's in the SA General Series. Great music, and a decent arrangement if I remember correctly.

17. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

You're right Peter, the CD was called Trilogy and it was Ottawa Citadel Band conducted by Doug Burden.

Logos is long overdue for a new recording; I've been trying to get a copy of the CSB recording to convert to CD, so far no success, although a copy has been promised.

18. trombonebabe

trombonebabe Member

our warm up and warm down seems to be the easter hymm,can't say we're not dedicated! It's bugging me now !

19. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

The CD "Exultation" by the Amsterdam Staff Band intentionally has a strong Easter theme (recorded in 2001).

Play list: Heralds of the Dawn (D. Goffin); Redeeming Love (T. Rive); Song of Exultation (Bearcroft) with guest soloist Roger Webster; St. Magnus (Steadman-Allen); Christ is Alive (Downie); The Road to Emmaus (D. Goffin); When I remember (Catherwood); Precious Jesus (Clarke/Redhead); Elegiac Variations (H. Evans--conductor); They Could Not; Celebration of Contemporary Gospel Song (Himes).