Eastbourne Accomodation

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Parp, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Parp

Parp Member

Hello all,

Can anyone recommend reasonable accomodation for our band and family members in Eastbourne in the summer? We're hoping to play on the bandstand this year and having never been to Eastbourne before (nor our band ever having had a weekend away!), I'd be grateful for any recommendations.

If anyone could give some indicative costs per head as well then that'd be great.

Thanks,
    Gregor

2. Bungle

Bungle Member

I live about 5 miles north of Eastbourne. I'm afraid I don't know much about hotels in Eastbourne, not having a need to stay in one, but I have been to a Christmas meal in the Hydro Hotel which I thought was quite nice. It might be a bit pricey though. It's a big hotel so they might have a function room you could rehearse in. I am sure there are some websites where people review hotels, it might be worth searching for one of those.

I helped out Ipswich and Norwich Co-Op band when they came down to Eastbourne last year, some of their members might be able to recommend somewhere. I remember their players organised their own hotels so they ended up being spread out. Some stayed at the local travelodge, but that is out of walking distance of the town center.

I would be interested in how much the council are paying you. My band has been offered an amount somewhat less than I heard they were offering, which is a bit sneaky.

If you are in need of a Bass player let me know. I can have a look at some hotels for you when you have narrowed down your choices.

3. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Hi, as Bungle says we played there last year (2006) but
    we stayed near Rye because of the concert we had on the Saturday night. There are loads of B&B's and you should get somewhere for about £30 per person i would have thought.
    With regard to the question Bungle raised on what they are paying, i had the letter from them today funnily enough, offering £200. This has been the same for the last 5 years at least.
    Suffice to say, we will not be going next year, it just isn't worth it when we can get double that for a job on our own doorstep!

4. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

I ate there a month ago with my inlaws - I think a brass band staying there would be a culture shock to the normal population who are the type who would come and listen to you at the bandstand itself .....

5. RatbyPhil

RatbyPhil Member

Try someone from Unity brass I did a job for them earlier this year, the hotel we stopped in was nice. I was little too drunk to be able to remember the name of it. Try MaxPressure he might be able to help.

6. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

There is a pub in Eastbourne, close to the bandstand that has all the Army bands stay at it during the summer, I won't say it's name on a public forum (security and all that) but he is very reasonable, the food is good, atmosphere in the bar is superb and he has a HUGE fish in a tank. Oh, and did I mention it's a pub?

7. Parp

Parp Member

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll let you know how we get on.

We were offered £200 for playing (sounds like a standard fee), which obviously isn't going to cover anything like our costs. But the band will subsidise a lot of the costs since it should be good for us to get a weekend away (we don't get out much you know!)