Easiest Section 4/Youth Band Test Piece

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by spiffy, Aug 18, 2011.

1. spiffy

spiffy New Member

As I've posted on here before, we have a training band at Totnes of around 30 members from beginners through to several now playing with the main band.

We're looking for a test piece to possibly play in the ungraded section at the SWBBA Contest in November.

As an example of the kind of thing we're looking for, last year we played "The Rising Generation" by Edrich Siebert.

Does anybody know anything similar that we might be able to use (we have looked at Anglian Dances and 4 Cities Symphony but these are beyond too many of our learners)

Thanks for any help

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Section 4/Youth Band Test Piece
    Totnes
    SWBBA Contest
    Anglian Dances
    ungraded section
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Eric Ball wrote some simple stuff:
    'Indian Summer'
    'Devon Fantasy'
    'In Switzerland'
    spring to mind

Reginald Heath's 'London River'?

4. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Partita for band, Edward Gregson, not too hard and used to win my band contests years and years and years and years ago.

5. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Some of the Stuart Johnson stuff is very approachable. Northumberland Suite etc. Also, St Andrew's Variations by Alan Fernie could work?

6. Despot

Despot Member

Would agree with this -

Young In Heart by Eric Ball is another easy one

7. Baton twirler

Baton twirler Member

Kiz7 mentioned St Andrew's Variations by Alan Fernie, this is a good one that has plenty in it but not overly difficult. I think it was used a few years ago in an Australian Youth 'B' section contest.

8. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Little Suite For Brass Number 1 Malcom Arnold
    Divertimento Eric Ball

9. its_jon

its_jon Member

Depending on the Quality of your soloist seats. Why not print out the North East Folk Suite by wizard composer Lee Morris.

Nothing to loose in giving at a go. You can also view the full Score and Parts online before you take the plunge and hit the print button.

North East Folk Suite is Free... click here .... its also a very modern arrangement.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Martin Dalby's Music For A Brass Band?

11. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

I would suggest a little suite for brass. Simon wood wrote a piece for the hade edge youth band when they were the honking hedgers years ago to play at holmfirth contest. That was even easier. Or if you have a classical piece in mind it could be arranged especially to suite your needs ...

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Section 4/Youth Band Test Piece
    Totnes
    SWBBA Contest
    Anglian Dances
    ungraded section
  13. repiano83

repiano83 New Member

A Sunrise Impressions by Jan de Haan,
    Four Old Dances by Jan van der Roost,
    Inspiration by Jan de Haan,
    Music for Cinema by Bertrand Moren

14. spiffy

spiffy New Member

Thanks to everyone for these suggestions. We've (myself and the MD) been able to look at several of these scores (particurlarly the older ones) that we have in the band room.

As I said in the original post, most of the band are learners so when we look at 'full scores' its the inner parts where we're really struggling.

Still, something to think about and an opportunity to look at some material that I wasn't previously familiar with

For interest Tom, where would I find the Hade Edge piece? what's it called and is there any opportunity to just have a glance at the score? and the North East Folk Suite might be worth a closer look.

Thanks again

Dan

15. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Gotta say a piece like the Rural Suite by Eric Ball could be a good choice maybe London River as Moomin recommended,played both years ago and should be well suited

16. its_jon

its_jon Member

arrgh.... Im a bit frustrated as im working on something original which is 15 mins long in 5 movements for the FMFK site... Its just not ready yet :-?
    Keep checking the site though.... im going to take it off the back boiler but can't promise a completion date.

17. tgfoxley

tgfoxley Member

Golland's 'Prelude, Song & Dance' is another option