Easier way to empty water from my horn?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bradders0123, Oct 7, 2010.

1. bradders0123

bradders0123 New Member

I was at my quartet tonight and I play my french horn at the quartet, but I'm too used to the water keys on my tenor horn, and so I need to take the slides out of my french horn. The only problem is I take out every slide on the F side and the Bb side and there's still water somewhere inside the horn and the Bb slides are in awkward places so it takes forever to completely empty it. Is there an easier way to empty the water out of it faster?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bb
    F
    french horn
    tenor horn
    Bb slides
  3. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Do what I do with my bass, keep turning the blessed thing in one direction. I can't get my 2nd valve slide out (it was like that when I got it) and, of course, it's the one that gets fullest quickest, so every few minutes in cold weather I have to turn it round a couple of times to get the water into a more accessible place.

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

You have to rotate the horn until the water collects in slides that can be removed. For standard double horns, try this ... hold the horn so the bell is up in the air. Press down the third valve and flip the first and second while rotating the horn back to the normal position. All the water in the valves should now be in the third valve tubing. Farkas also published his own method for the holton horn he developed.

http://educators.conn-selmer.com/pdf/Leblanc%20Double%20Horn%20Care%20Maintenance%20and%20Minor%20Repair.pdf

5. Don't forget to press the thumb valve to get the water out of the Bb side.

6. astreet83

astreet83 Member

What the hell is a thumb valve????

7. squirrel

squirrel Member

French horn??? Just drill a few holes in it, job done ;)

8. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

On a French horn, it works like a 4th valve on a euph, but backwards (i.e. pressing it raises the pitch by a perfect 4th from F to Bb rather than lowering it from Bb to F).

Anyway, trombones often have a thumb valve, it's not exactly a foreign concept...

9. on_castors

on_castors Member

Ah me too... the instrument (Sov EEflat) which has just come into my possession is the same with the small back 3rd valve (compensator bit) slide seized solid, and of course it fills up with water after so much as putting it to my lips!

Wouldn't mind, but it is in pretty great condition, however I haven't made that slide move so much as a fraction, tried cords, soft hammer on the small lugs, but even after using a bit of heat (it's silver plated) it's like it had been brazed closed. I am a bit timid to use too much heat for fear of detaching something!

Juggling it around is a RIGHT pain, just a bit of a bind if I have to put it in for repair when it otherwise doesn't need any work at all :-(

Thing is, how did the previous user NOT need to empty water out, it has been in constant use before I came?

10. bradders0123

bradders0123 New Member

Thanks, I'll need to give that a try :tup

11. bradders0123

bradders0123 New Member

That thought's actually crossed my mind... but then I remembered my Rosetti tenor horn which had a hole (from rust after 1 year of getting it) and... well, it didn't sound too good:-?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bb
    F
    french horn
    tenor horn
    Bb slides
  13. bumper-euph

bumper-euph Member

It won't sound any worse with holes in it .......I think they were designed for midwives to play anyway.......
    think about it....!!