Earthquake????

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Crazysop, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Ok, I've been out of sorts the last few days, but have I just imagined my whole house shaking like mad just now???? The lamp is still swinging from the ceiling as I type. Scary!!!!!!!

2. Di

Di Active Member

Nope, you didn't just imagine it!

Our whole house just shook and rattled! :eek: Knees really trembling now. :-?

I'd just about nodded off and was woken suddenly and I jumped out of bed when I heard a loud bang. That was just Steve pushing too hard on the bathroom door! Not five minutes later, just dozing again and EVERYthing shook! OMG that was scary!

BTW, happy 18th Vicki! What a way to have your birthday remembered! :rolleyes:

3. HBB

HBB Active Member

Was in manchester too!
    the whole of my halls just shook, and has given me a great excuse to miss my 9.30 class tomorrow!!!!

4. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

OMG so it was real!! Double scary!!!

5. Di

Di Active Member

A 4.7 apparently, located about 20 miles south of Kingston Upon Hull.

6. Di

Di Active Member

7. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

4.7 is that bad? Wheres Kingston Upon Hull?

8. Di

Di Active Member

Well, looking at the report above, we've had a 5.0 before. Steve's got the radio on listening and they say there are no reported casualties yet.

Kingston upon Hull is north east.

9. HBB

HBB Active Member

10. Goldie Horn

Goldie Horn Member

Yes, thought I was going mad and dreaming it!!! Was just having a lovely dream (!!) and then woken up by room shaking and horrible shaky sound!! Wide awake now :(

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Richter Scale
    Mercalli Scale
    Reading
    Beaufort Scale
    logarithmic scale
  12. Goldie Horn

Goldie Horn Member

I'm in Barnet by the way so must have been felt almost throughout the whole county?

13. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

I'm considering removing stuff from shelves over / near my bed in case we get another one!

14. Veri

Veri Member

Nah, not in Oxford! I was confused when I read your facebook status until I saw this thread!

15. leisa

leisa Active Member

I didn't feel a thing, i feel quite left out! We do live up a big hill i dunno if that has anything to do with it?! Either that or we are very very heavy sleepers!!

16. NeilW

NeilW Member

I was still awake and I felt it - not that far from Oxford, Veri...

It sounded like the roof was rattling - not that severe down here (it wouldn't have woken me up, unlike one I was in in Alaska...)

17. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Where's Kingston upon Hull??!?!?!?!?!?!?

North East?? We're in Yorkshire?!? (OK, put me down for Pedant of the Year!)

Incredibly, although the quake woke Sarah and I up, both George and Thea slept through it.

18. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

I saw it was registered as 5.4 on the BBC website.

19. Di

Di Active Member

It seemed like it was in two waves. There was a shake and rattle, then it seemed to lessen, then start again. We were up and out of bed, quick as anything. Adam came running from his room (he has a high sleeper, so his bed really wobbled, we went in to see Vic and she was just stood there feeding her fish saying "what's all the fuss about?". She hadn't noticed it! can't believe that. :rolleyes:

20. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

PS sorry. 5.2 Epi centre Market Rasen

21. vonny

vonny Member

Lou it was scary here to, I was watching TV... and then whole house shook!
    There was slight damage on my street and roundabouts but thank God it could have been worse!

Forgot to mention I phoned Naomi who was staying at her nans house and she said "I didn't feel a thing"

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Richter Scale
    Mercalli Scale
    Reading
    Beaufort Scale
    logarithmic scale