Earthquake hits Kent

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ipswich trom, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Kent
    fair bit of damage
    Earthquake hits Kent
    sup
    URL
  3. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Being evacuated by the Salvation Army? I know the armed forces are a bit stretched at the moment but that's a bit much. :D

4. Texus

Texus Member

Thanks to the consumtion of great Kent beer, i had enough problems stopping the room from spinning, let alone the earth!

5. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

yes we had one here in the midlands in 2002 early in the morning

6. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I've felt two minor quakes, one several years ago here in Southern Ontario (there's a fault under Lake Erie) and last year in Peru. I can't imagine what a serious one would feel or sound like. The one in Peru sounded like a huge freight train, only much deeper and louder......hard to describe and almost unbelievable to experience.

7. leisa

leisa Active Member

I felt one a few years ago at home in manchester, i cried i was so scared! it was horrid defo would not want to b in a huge one!!

8. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

The article mentions Folkstone a lot but no other specific names of places in Kent- Do we know if anywhere else was affected?!
    I've tried contacting my Dad in Ramsgate but haven't been able to! Does anyone who's been watching english news have anymore news on it?

9. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6602677.stm

Last I heard, power was out in Dover and Folkestone but no-one seriously hurt. M20 was closed for a bit, but trains unaffected. Ramsgate seems to be physically unaffected, but phones may be affected by power outages in the area. Quake was 4.3 on the richter scale, about 7.5 miles out in the channel.

Apparently a big crack has appeared in the cliffs further down the coast towards Sussex, forcing a load of sunbathers to evacuate their beach huts, and possibly their bowels ;) .

10. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Guess where Nina and I were looking at houses this morning....

11. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

The inlaws live in Dover, and say at first they thought it was just a train on the line up the hill, then there was talk of a gas explosion until they actually found out what it was.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Kent
    fair bit of damage
    Earthquake hits Kent
    sup
    URL
  13. Bungle

Bungle Member

A totally flattening of the Medway towns (without any loss of life, of course) would have been an improvement.