Early Area weekend

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by westburykid, Feb 23, 2009.

1. westburykid

westburykid Member

Our Area (North West) seems to be first up this year, and normally would be a week later.

Given that in calandar terms we have lost a week, and some areas (Midlands is in three weeks for instance) have more rehearsal time.

Does having an extra few weeks on the area piece after christmas give a better standard of performances in those areas?

Or like my band, do we fit in extra rehearsals in the time available, to give the same "result"?

Blackpool on the 1st March...... Oh I do like to be beside the Seaside!!!! ;-)

2. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Well it's the same for all the band's in each area - so they would all be competing with the same problem; be it "early" or "late". Also the band's that compete later may get some guidance from the early run outs at the likes of Bradford and Yorkshire - have a look out for MDs in the audience from other areas at Blackpool - I'm sure there will be a few take notes on how the pieces are being played and also what the adjudicators have to say.

The contest at NEMBBA yesterday probably highlighted the difference in preparation - NW bands have a week to go, Yorkshire bands two weeks and Midlands three. This probably reasonbly explains the lack of some bands there too.

3. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Really depends on when you start rehearsing, if you normally do 6, 8 or 40 weeks rehearsing, work back from published date :)

Good Luck to Manx Concert Brass in the 1st Section... :)

4. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

For us the problem was the Area is a week earlier, but our local contest (Brass at the Guild) was a week later too! So we've only had 2.5 weeks to prepare for the Area. On this piece, can't say I'm too upset though!!

5. Veri

Veri Member

But if you do well, you're first in line to book hotels in Harrogate!

6. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

:clap:

7. carbon selector

carbon selector New Member

The North West was originally scheduled 2 weeks later. When were bands informed of the change to the 1st March? As far as I can remember there was plenty of notice.

I just hope that the Tower is open and also the Big One (or whatever it is called these days) as usually the winds are too high!