Ear Candy

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by CaharleyFarley, Nov 18, 2003.

1. I read here on tMP about music that audiences wanted to hear described as "ear candy".

Personally I feel that you should give audiences what they want 90% of the time, and then if you feel that really need self gratification - do summat that they dont want.

There comes a great "buzz" from "working an audience".............even if it is giving them "ear candy"

A pompous phrase if ever I saw one.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    audience
    phrase
    music
    audiences
    Ear Candy
  3. BreadOfHeaven

BreadOfHeaven Member

Unfortunately audiences are not homogenous. Not everyone comes to hear a band for the same reason or would prefer to hear the same kind of music. I may be wrong in assuming that the term "ear candy" refers to 'light music'.

From an SA perspective I think Army bands are very guilty at treating their audiences like morons, people that are incapable of appreciating music with a realtively high degree of intelligence.

4. Di

Di Active Member

We have to be careful not to stereotype our audiences. A band I have played for in the past would do that. We would be told "its going to be for the over 50s, lets give them lots of music from the the shows, they love that". So thats all we'd play all night, musical selections. :( I think thats a gross generalisation of the audience and while some might actually think, "ooh thats great" and sing all the songs, there are over 50s out there who enjoy music other than musicals. So I think unless you have been given an actually theme by whoever has hired you, its a little bit of everything to try to please everyone.