E Flat Sousaphone wanted

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by joker66, Dec 4, 2007.

1. joker66

joker66 Member

I am trying to find an E flat sousaphone for use in a concert on 8th December. Does anyone know where I can hire one from (at a reasonable cost) or does anyone have one I can loan for a short period of time (Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire). I may also be interested in buying if I can find one at a reasonable price.

Any advice gratefully received

Many thanks

joker66

2. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

My mate got one on ebay........ they always seems to have plenty in the german ebay (handy if u can muddle along in german though) and they are often sold for silly money (as in mighty cheap). maybe better as a long term solution though as I see you haven't much time.

3. Hi Liz

Rob Cav said he might be able to help.

Cheers

Paul

4. joker66

joker66 Member

Lets hope so - the other person I knew had one is using it this weekend. Can find plenty of B flat sousaphones but not E flat. Will wait to hear from Rob then.

See you Thursday

Liz

5. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Eb seem to be very rare.Plenty of BBb one's around

6. robcav

robcav Member

Found a helicon - not quite a sousaphone - originally built in F but the owner had an extra bit of slide made to put it into Eb. Rubber bands operating the rotary valves are quite a feature. I'm bringing it to the rehearsal. See you then.

7. joker66

joker66 Member

Thanks Rob - look forward to seeing MArtin having a go on this then!

See you tonight

Liz

8. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Hope I'm okay ressurecting this thread. I've just come across an Eb Sousa thats available over in Cheshire. Bit late for Martins Dec gig!!
    I saw the instrument on New Years eve, its engraved Frank Holton & Co. Elkhorn, Wisconsin, USA
    Serial No. 84036

I'm led to believe it was made in 1923.
    Its in superb condition, the valves were very slow though due to the owner (not a player) using 3 in 1 oil on them !!!
    He is wanting to sell, but hasn't much idea of value.
    The downside for me is that it only has 3 valves.

If anyone is interested or may help with a valuation it would be much appreciated.

9. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I saw one of about same vintage sell on ebay for a bit over $200 US between 150 and 200 pounds not sure if that is a value or just a lucky buy for some one.

10. steve butler

I suppose its a limited market, that does seem very cheap,
    Oh and I forgot to mention there is a hard case with it.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Yorkshire
    Nottinghamshire
    Derbyshire
    E Flat Sousaphone
    reasonable cost
  12. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

if he comes up with a price could you please contact me. If The price is ok I have relative in the UK that may buy on my behalf.

13. steve butler

14. Highams

Highams Member

Rosehill in Beaconsfield now have used E flat & B flat Sousaphones in stock.

Contact Paul Austin

CB