E-Bay phishing e-mail

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ju33les, Nov 7, 2005.

1. ju33les

ju33les Member

I received an e-mail from E-Bay today telling me that somebody else was attempting to use my account for their own foul deeds, and so could I send all my details to them to sort this out......
    MMMMMMMMMM......
    let me think about this......

1) I DON'T have an E-Bay account!!!!!!!

2) I would never reply to anything like this anyway.....

Just be careful out there......:cool:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    phishing e-mail
    somebody
    deeds
    anything
  3. Melph

Melph Member

Ebay Fraud.

Fraudsters have switched from asking people to submit their bank details for verification purposes as this has received so much media attention (although it does still happen). Ebay seems to be a relatively new one.

Look at the address details on the email and just see how many people that email was sent to - mutliply that by hundreds of thousands, and thats how many that computer is sending out daily (as the email address's are randomly generated, some email address's will not be valid).

Now, lets say 1% of people reply, thats potentially hundreds of people each day giving their details - good work if you can get it!!!

I used to get requests from Halifax to resubmit my details - great, as I wasnt banking with them!

4. Di

Di Active Member

I had an email about 6 months ago thanking me for my order of a certain product I shouldn't name on here ;) at the cost of $650! :eek: Unfortunately one of the numbers appeared to missing from my credit card number, could I please send the whole number again! :eek:

The yesterday I got an email telling me I'd won 150,000 euro from the Dayzers lottery where my email address had been tagged and automatically entered! Googled it to see just what sort of a scam it was. How gullible do they think we are?

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Well, only last week three fraudsters were sentenced following an ebay scam: they set up items for sale, then sent out emails telling bidders they had not been successful, but offering them similar items as direct sales! Needless to say they were bogus, and because it was done outside of ebay the prospective purchasers had no protection.

Caveat emptor!

6. Melph

Melph Member

My previous job was as a fraud investigator - it is amazing what scams people come up with!

The worrying thing is that most action to fight fraud is reactive, as the fraudsters are very dynamic and change "scams" constantly.

I am always very cautious when buying items on ebay - do a search for something, like a canon e350 camera and set the listing to showw cheapest first- there are so so many lisitings from China - now it may be that some (if not all) are genuine. I know electronics are cheaper in Asia, even so, the price savings are huge!