Dyke, how would you do it?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by cplcharisma, Nov 23, 2010.

Should Dyke continue with the Dr?

1. Yes

65 vote(s)
  2. No

28 vote(s)
  3. Use guests for Contests.

9 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cplcharisma

cplcharisma New Member

I stand corrected about Brett. Apologies.

Anyway, great stuff about the fans perception of Dyke and how they think pehaps Change of MD could alter their output. Would that really improve them?

Should bands like Dyke move away from single dictator like figures as MDs and go towards the orchestral "Principal Conductor" with guests approach. ( many bands do anyway I know).

Do players need "contest experience" at the very highest level to be trusted at a band like dyke?

Oh and finally, if this year was a bad one for Dyke what's a good one?
  2. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Not necessarily

Black Dyke isn't "ruled by a single dictator". And an approach that works for band A does not necessarily work for band B, so as always, generalisations make no sense (of course, I'm generalizing here :rolleyes: )

If they can do 50+ concerts to sell out crowds?

But I'm from Belgium, so hey, what do I know...
  3. cplcharisma

cplcharisma New Member

No no Jan, come now. Those famous Belgian bands are superb.

Consistent world class. Don't put yourself down like that. I won't have it. And you of course are the most famous Belgian bander in the UK that's for sure, so please you must not say things like that. Its not fair.

On topic now:

Surely you must realise that Dyke is a band run by one man, helped by others who rally round him. It's not his fault, thats just how the band is, it was the same with Watson. They are consistently very very good. Perhaps that's the way forward. The band committee is perhaps a thing that should be avoided.
  4. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

You really are a sad individual.
  5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

1985 was all right. :rolleyes:

I'm a firm believer in the orchestral model - a Musical Director with regular "guests". Whether that would be the best for Black Dyke, I don't know, because I'm not good enough to play there or clever enough to conduct there.

The incredible level of schadenfreude displayed in banding whenever a currently outstanding band fails to win a major contest is pretty depressing, I've gotta be honest. And I know it's nothing new, I remember the same thing with Desford in the 90s and YBS a few years back; this sort of rubbish was one of the reasons why I got hacked off and gave up for 6-7 years. It's also one of the reasons why banding is in the state it is - we're all too busy gloating at others' "bad" results to get on and sort out the many problems. :mad:
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Mention of YBS in the above post reminds me of another scenario that is not included in the poll: to have an overall supremo who "owns" the band and its policy, but who does not necessarily conduct all the run-of-the-mill concerts. I'm not saying it is the one I would recommend, but it certainly seemed to work for them, who were never less than first-rate whenever I heard them, even though there was an extra spark when DK was in the middle.

As for Black Dyke, I think that Nick has been at his best in fostering joint ventures with other musicians and forces, with innovative joint concerts and the involvement of actors etc when appropriate. I also tend to feel that the situation on the concert stage is more a result of improving standards elsewhere than any drastic drop at Queensbury, and as has been said many times before, contest results are largely in the hands of those in the box on the day.
  7. euphalogy

euphalogy Member

Xlent post!! Some people will only realise this when there is little left to bother about.
  8. BassBoneMatt

BassBoneMatt Member

Matches my opinion pretty much.
  9. bariwizard

bariwizard Member

I don't think there is any need for this poll/thread to be Dyke-specific, and am surprised the mods have not done anything about it yet. The points about how many conductors to have are valid, but why make specific reference to Dyke/NC?
    As for it being a lean year for Dyke, I think it may just be a blip in the big picture and that once the new players settle in it may transpire that some of the older ones have done the band a massive favour by leaving. 1985 was of course a good year for them, but even that great band had a couple of not so great years in the 80's as I recall.
  10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It's certainly true that these issues are not confined to Black Dyke but (and this is only my personal view not any "official" statement) I see no problem in taking Dyke as the starting point, so long as the arguments can be presented calmly and sensibly.
  11. doctor thick

doctor thick New Member

The problem is when a single individual becomes bigger than the group. The players win contests and play well week in week out thus earning reputation and money, much of which is spent on the m.d. wage. If I frequently hear the name of a conductor as much if not more than the band in various articles, I am always a touch alarmed. Players turn up twice a week if not more, often for free, they play to a professional standard and make the band. Some conductors turn up twice a week and get more than most the players get for a 5 day week. Forgive me if I get sick of hearing the same old names time and time again.
  12. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

To those criticising how much influence the MD has over black dyke, I would ask this. Are you familiar with the damage that can be done to a band when an MD is not fully in charge?

As regards Black Dyke's year, I only know one or two of the band, and haven't discussed it with either of them, but even if they do regard this year as 'a poor one' by their standards, they've still brought home silverware from some of the biggest contests in the world, and have played to packed houses up and down the country.

Yeah. I wish every year I'd had in banding was that poor....

One last thing. If anyone at Black Dyke has a problem with the way things are run, then that's for them to take up with the powers that be. Most if not all are of the standard that they could play anywhere they choose so I doubt they consider there's much of an issue. And even if there is, I don't see that anything we as fellow banders think has any bearing on what is, after all, an issue for the concern of the band membership alone.

This has always sounded like a non-story to me. And now it sounds like a very tired non-story. Do us all a favour and let it go.
  13. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

What evidence do you base this statement on Jan?
  14. JRH

JRH Member

Exactly right. I should be so lucky.
  15. John_D

John_D Member

I see that Dyke have issued a press release about Master Blaster Jr of this very forum being their new 1st horn. Nice one Jonny.
  16. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Well done Jonny. I must admit to a wry smile when i read it.
  17. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

lied through his teeth at BiC, cheeky devil :p

Nice one Jonny :)
  18. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Nice for Jonny, shame for Julie. How far will the clearout go?
  19. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

I agree Andy. It's all a bit odd.
  20. doctor thick

doctor thick New Member

Well I don't think you had to have supernatural foresight to see that one coming. It's certainly a bold move by the conductor if nothing else. It's virtually akin to Hitlers purge of the Parliamentary Brown Shirts. The now infamous Night of the long knives. I can't help but think however in desperation to consolidate power a nose may have been cut off to spite a face as EVERY replacement while being admittedly more controllable and not so likely to ask pertinent questions regarding direction is in fact weaker than the player they have come in for. How far off is the area? Could be a great move for B and R all this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.