Dyke and Roger Webster

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sparkling_quavers, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

2. Rach_Horn

Rach_Horn Member

I wonder who the new solo horn will be!!!

3. HBB

HBB Active Member

OMG, I can't belive it! :(

4. JOCKBLAST!

JOCKBLAST! Member

They always do.
    I'm sure both parties have there reasons for what has happened.
    Great players like Roger will always be a rarity.
    It's always a pity when band politics gets involved in these situations.
    "Brass Bands, eh!"
    They will miss him though!
    Whether they realise it or not.
    Big time players don't come along very often in any lifetime!
    Steve S.

5. Steve

Steve Active Member

I hope he goes to BAYV, just for a couple of weeks good controversy.

6. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I can't believe it!!! I've asked 4 black dykers and it seems it's true. Can't believe they're getting rid of two principal players at the same time...complete madness. They both played fantastically on Sunday...and two days later they've got the boot. I am NOT a happy bunny right now! :icon_sad:

7. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Nice one Steve!

Whilst its a shame to see anybody leave a band, sometimes band management have to make unpopular decisions for the long term good of the band.

8. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Without wishing to fuel rumour and chat on here - decisions over letting top players like these go, are rarely to do with playing ability or performance...........never cut and dry

9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I don't think this decision is anything to do with either players' playing or performance ability. This simply cannot be the case with players of such high callibre, and therefore can only be due to other as yet unknown factors.

10. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

All I can think is that Roger must have seen one of the Emley adverts for a Principal Cornet and decided he'd like to audition...Sorry Roger, you missed your chance to sit next to me, The Cornet King got there first. :icon_wink:

Seriously, it is sad when behind the scenes politics get in the way of a winning formula.
    Not so sure I'm comfortable with bandying possible replacement names about when neither the people involved or the bands they're currently with have made no comment on the subject yet. Seems to be putting a lot of pressure on people who may not want to, or otherwise wouldn't be getting involved.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Dyke
    Roger Webster
    URL
    great partnership
  12. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

I know for a fact that both these decisions have absolutely nothing to do with their ability, they are both top class players!

I remember getting fired from a famous band for reasons not too dissimilar to Roger's.
    I have spoken with Roger and he will rise again, the cream always floats to the top, it's just a shame that once again it looks like people have to feather their own nest at the expense of others.

Good luck to my friend Richard in the hot seat, he will do a fine job i am sure.

One last thing though, being from a family that was heavily involved with BD and indeed, John Foster, i was always led to believe that money was set aside by JF for the 'Best Principal Cornet' available?
    Shame his wishes haven't been carried out.

Merry Christmas everyone,
    William (Billy) Rushworth

13. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Gore i fancy that one ill think ill start practicing you never know :icon_cheesygrin: :icon_wink:

14. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Gosh and I thought a formal announcement was being made on Thursday in the printed press :wink: Oh well, saves reading it now!

15. Mark Bowater

Mark Bowater Member

Or has the Doctor finally diagnosed a very long suffereing illness correctly. Previous placebo's offered had obviously not cured the root cause.

16. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

You are assuming that the prints will not be digging too deeply to discover the full truth behind these departures (especially Brass Band World - "the only independent brass band journal", as it likes to describe itself).

If that IS what you are thinking, I think you are probably right! A shame really. What's the point of touting your independence if you simply accept what you are fed? Aren't journalists supposed to be curious by nature?

17. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

My thoughts were twofold:

1) Should statements like 'Good luck to my friend Richard in the hot seat, he will do a fine job i am sure.' be made on here before all parties concerned have made official announcements.

I am surprised our fine moderating team have not passed comment on that!
    (I May have missed the official announcement so apologies if one has been made and perhaps thats why the mods have said nothing!)

2) As you correctly suggest I doubt we will ever get the true story in print. Although claiming to be independent magazines are reliant on stories about the more well known bands to sell copies. The journalists would not want to bite the hand that feeds.

18. yorkyboy

yorkyboy Member

Dont be so soft. It clearly states in the four bars rest article that he is the very hot favourite. There is no harm in what has been said.

19. Mark Bowater

Mark Bowater Member

Would appear that a South Yorkshire & West Yorkshire Band are going to engage in a pc swap shop.

20. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Firstly having worked in a bookmakers for 9 years I have seen more red hot favourites overturned than I care to remember.

Secondly I did not say there was any harm in what had been said.

My point, perhaps not made totally clear, was that I was surprised that the moderators, who normally leap on things like this had not passed comment

21. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

What i havent told you yet Crwaf is that secretly me and Roger have done a deal and swapped, he's coming to Emley and i'm off to Dyke...:icon_cheesygrin:

OK so i'm lying through my teeth but seriously Roger Webster is absolutely my cornet idol and i was very shocked to hear the news. Same about Leslie Howie, 2 shock departures.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Dyke
    Roger Webster
    URL
    great partnership
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.