DVD Drive Problem!

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Hells Bones, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Here's one for you techno people!

I've been having trouble with my dvd drive. It has started to think that it is a cdrom drive and won't play dvds.

When I run diagnostics it says the drive is in working order.

Then it starts to run dvds again.

Any ideas?

2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Could be a firmware corruption - which you could try and fix with a flash if there's one available - or a failing laser....probably among other things.

TBH they're cheap enough to replace (within reason).
  3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Chuck it and buy a new one. They're less than £20 quid for an all formats DVD writer these days.
  4. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

It be for a lappy-top!
  5. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Still only about £25, but a little more fiddly to fit.
  6. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

You can get a Blu-Ray drive for not much more - go one, treat yourself! Just got Zulu on Blu-ray, it's brilliant.
  7. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I'd agree. By the time you find out what is actually wrong with it and fiddled about with drivers and so on you might as well have replaced it. I did mine and, while a bit more fiddly than doing a desktop, it was worth it. Also, you don't necessarily need to get a proprietary one. Cheaper models are available, you just need to fit them in the carrier.

Sony told me it was a 'back to factory job' to replace mine. They were lying.
  8. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

I agree with Mssrs. Duncan and Mike... go for it!
  9. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Just had a thought. Sometimes when this happens its just the drivers, other times it is the drive. If its just the drivers then you could try adding a USB DVD drive and that would force windows to reload the DVD driver software. That might then kick the internal one back into identifying itself properly. Worth a try if you can borrow a drive.