DVD Decoder..help please?!?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by 2nd man down, Jan 7, 2006.

1. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Please help me, I'm useless at this stuff!!

Ok, so I bought this new pc, a spanking new Siemens Fijitsu one running Windows XP. It came with a DVD ROM Optical drive and I've installed a second DVD R/RW drive, but when i try to watch a DVD it tells me i need a DVD decoder.

I have media Player 10 and it can't play them (it says "Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer.")
    and this morning I've downloaded real player cos a mate of mine said it played anything, but when i put the DVD in (Gladiator if you were wondering, and yes it's an original) it says "You must have DVD software installed on your computer to play DVD's. Please ensure the DVD software that came with your computer or DVD drive is properly installed before attempting to play your DVD."

Would the PC not already have a DVD decoder if it came installed with a DVD ROM drive?!?!? I would have thought it would!!
    I can't find a DVD decoder in any of the discs that came with the PC, The DVD R/RW drive didn't come with anything either!!
    Can you download this software free from anywhere??

I'd be really grateful if someone could point me in the right direction or give me some pointers, I'm rubbish at this stuff. :oops:

Cheers tMP-ers, I know you won't let me down! :clap:

2. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Go to Computeractive website here
    Register for free for the forum and ask about the problem on there I virtually guarantee you'll get a solution by the end of the weekend, it's normally pretty good

3. 2nd man down

Cheers Roy, you're a brick.

That was Brick! ;)

4. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Most PC's are delivered with either WinDVD of PowerDVD software to play DVD discs. These packages include a DVD decoder. Wasn't there an installation CD with the PC or with the DVD drive?

I think the free version of WinDVD only supports stereo sound, for surround sound you need to get the paid version...

5. Di

Di Active Member

I would suggest calling who you bought it from and asking to speak to their support guys. Its probably there but hidden somewhere and they should be able to talk you through what to do with it.

6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

It looks like you don't have a DVD codec installed. I would have expected a PC with a DVD drive to come supplied with some sort of DVD software. Try downloading the trial version of WinDVD; I have seen cases in the past where the DVD codec has been left behind even after the trial period expires. WinDVD will no longer work but media player and real player are then able to use the installed codec. As for calling tech support; you've probably already invalidated the warranty by fitting another DVD drive, so don't mention it.

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

8. 2nd man down

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- happy to help out! :bounce

10. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

*cough* Back of a lorry *cough* probably *cough*

:wink:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    DVD
    R
    Fijitsu
    Siemens
    Windows XP
  12. 2nd man down

Erm...hey Kettle? This is Pot...Your'e black!!

Cheeky sod, I got it from Misco! Just cos everything in your house is UV pen marked with someone else's name doesn't make it the same for the rest of the population!

Sheesh!! :eek: The cheek!

13. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

No it's just Crawford's DVD collection that is dodgy!!!

14. Di

Di Active Member

Err hmm, watch it lads, or we'll be having to call Rapier in to sort you all out. ;)