Durham Mineworkers Gala... Who's going?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by brassyboy, Feb 22, 2007.

1. brassyboy

brassyboy Member

Miners Gala: are you going this year?

OK I know it is early to be thinking about it but it looks like a big one this year what with BRASS running the two weeks before and Boban Markovic doing a free concert on the Friday.

Has any one seen him play?

Miners Gala 14th July

Hotels may get booked up so here's a chance to talk about where to stay, what to do and the pubs to visit.

Do you know a banner and no Band to march with it?
    Would you like to take part?
    Do you know a village that could do with a bands support them?
    Are you able to come up and play but want a banner to march with?
    would you like to host a band?

How can we stop the log jams this year? should we have a contest on the field with set times to play at and then it's be there on time or miss out?

Last year was great but the times were all shot to pieces and is that fare for all the bands.

Why do some bands have to play more than one tune when we got a letter from the NUM asking us to keep it to one tune?

2. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Do they have to play more than one piece, or do they just choose to play more than one piece...??
  3. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I think you are only asked to play one piece Colin. As you are well aware some bands started giving a mini concert outside the county and the whole process took ages so bands were asked to keep this to a minimum, maybe one or two pieces.

I wouldn't be at all suprised if they requested that no band plays match of the day either after our rendition 2 years ago!

If You Get A Early Slot There Didnt Seem To Be A Problem,last Couple Of Years Been Through To The Race Course No Probs And Waiting For The Bars To Open
  5. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Pleased I don't have to do the gala anymore. Getting up at 5 to play all day. Not going to miss it but it is a fun day.
  6. on_castors

on_castors Member

Agreed 1000%

Northumberland Miner's Picnic is a similar self-mutilation excercise that I did only once. Funny how Bass players become so in-demand when that time of year comes around! ;-)

Even if I was fit enough now, I am not sure my liver would be up to it either!
  7. brassyboy

brassyboy Member

This year don't get up so early! Get a group together and go up on the Friday. You can visit a world heritage site, go to a free concert by the Boban & Marko Markovic Orkestra have a great night and still take part in one of the country's greatest historic events the Miners Gala! To be able to tell your children you took part in Durham Miner's Gala has to be something special , It is part of brass band history, As they say we should all do at least one Miners Gala.

As for the liver it should be pickled by now!

Long live the Gala at a time when we have lost so many great events like it, it is great it is still going strong.

Did anyone see the Indian brass band last year on the Cricket Ground?
    The Speaches as always went on a bit, the Cathedral service was just stunning a real highlight of the year!!, how could miss that!

I will have a pint for you and all those banders that can't be there with us this year! OK make it a few pints!
  8. six pints

six pints Active Member

I tell my student friends about it- all the locals get drunk well before lunch and there's a fair at maiden castle... they look at me like i'm insane...
  9. brassyboy

brassyboy Member

Hey Six Pints! You're not insane just a bander! Hope you will be there this year! Tell your student pals about the Acid Brass gig on the Wednesday before the Gala and then they will be uterly sure you are insane, but somehow they will know it's in a most wonderful way!

Why not show them a clip of Mnozil that should confirm you as sane as Mnozil take some beating.

I think too many people see brass as boring and a thing of the past, we know that's not the case I hope Acid Brass and Mnozil will show them different and of course the Gala's always a good crack!

Drunk locals and a fair maiden (castle) Who could ask for more?

You going to see Boban? Should be worth it, it is free after all!

See yer!

10. six pints

six pints Active Member

Not sure, prob not because I'll have (hopefully) graduated by by then and will be back in sunny ashington living with ma n pa! Should be there for the picnic tho! I'll be the one that cant march in a straight line!
  11. S Carey

S Carey New Member

She is!!!! But she's also a Classy Tart!!
  12. six pints

six pints Active Member

Hang on... is this who I think it is? CT's rule!!
  13. winterman

winterman Member

Drighlington have confirmed tonight that we are taking part with the Washington contingent!

If TMP, or any other bands for that matter, are interested in taking part in what sounds like one of the great events in the banding calendar, I have heard tonight that there are a few lodges (sorry don't know the correct terminology, hope I got it right) seeking bands to take part!

It sounds like an absolutely fantastic day for any band! Really looking forward to it now!
  14. dave jake

dave jake Member

Can t remember doing the Gala but I must have done it ?
  15. geordiecolin

...can't think why you would suffer memory loss Dave... ;)
  16. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Well Diana and I plan on going this summer, so hope to see some of you there...not quite sure of the structure of the day yet...except it starts right early...perhaps with kegs & eggs?
  17. bigcol

bigcol Member

The mighty Five Rivers will be there.
  18. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

I can't get my lot to march! So there are highly secret negotiations going for me and some friends to help one of the bands out.

I hope it comes off as it is another great brass band event 'ticked off' the list of to do's.
  19. HelenMcBaritone

HelenMcBaritone New Member

must be the alzheimers ;)
  20. geordiecolin

Yeah early hours usually, depending on who you're with.

I stupidly, have booked a holiday onthe 14th July, however Westoe will be there as usual.