Durham Miners Gala: Who's going?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by michellegarbutt, Jun 26, 2006.

1. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

July 8th sees this years Miners Gala. As well as the majority of Durham/Northumberland/Cleveland BAnds I understand quite a few bands from outside the Area are also coming so Whos going to be there, who are you playing for (both band and village) and in which hostelry do you plan to spend the day

I'll start the ball rolling

UserName: michellegarbutt
    Band: Murton Colliery
    Village: Murton
    Hostelry: None I usually stay on the field

UserName: ChewyTuba
    Band: Murton Colliery
    Hostelry: Prison Warders Club

If anyone fancies joining us for this fantastic day please contact me by pm. You'll be more than welcome
  2. I shall be there (I think!). If I do go, I shall be playing with Marsden Silver Riverhead Brewery.. but since this would be my first time at Durham, I have no idea what village!:rolleyes:
  3. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Harrogate will be there. I'll be on cornet for the march but conducting outside the County Hotel. We're starting in Sacriston this year (last year we did Trimdon because their regular band, Reg Vardy, were in Holland. Drinking: we'll probably start in the prison but may shop around.

4. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Five Rivers will be there but unfortunately I won't be. I think they are doing Hetton this year having done Thornley for a few years.
  5. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

BHK (UK Limited) Band are taking in the banner for Thornley. My aim is to be able to march out sensibly this year.
  6. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I'm depping for Murton - bring on the beer! :tup
  7. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Westoe Brass Band (formerly Westoe Colliery) will be taking in as usual, the Aged Miner's Homes banner which means because the old folk can't cope, there's no daft march around a village at silly o'clock am and perhaps more importantly, no march out either so drinking time is maximised.

Hostelry of choice may be the Swan and 3 early doors (i.e. queueing for it to open) and then possibly the Dun Cow later on. Will try to get up to the warders club as well at some point.

Incidentally, on a scale of 1 to "Not a cat in hells chance" I would rate Laura's chances of being able to march out sensibly in or around the "not a cat in hells chance" region.
  8. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Ey ey ey!! I was fine on the way in, it was the half litre of raspberry vodka and several mixed drinks that scuppered me on the way out last year. I still think having my mouthpiece removed was a bit harsh- I'm sure I sounded great!!
  9. T Winch

T Winch Member

GT Group Peterlee will be there. We're taking Wheatley Hills banner in as usual but not marching round the village this year. Don't know whether to view this as the sad demise of an old tradition or a well earned extra couple of hours in bed. My preferred hostelries this year will be the Dun Cow followed by a leisurely stagger up to the Prison Officers Club, stopping of at Peterlee Cricket Club on the way home and finally, depending on whether I can still stand up or not, the Vane Arms Silksworth
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  10. michellegarbutt

You could view it as an opportunity to get to Durham early, be first band in and hence give you more drinking time while the rest of us poor souls who have a 7 mile march to do are queing up in the blazing heat waiting to play outside the county
  11. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Or pouring rain....
  12. michellegarbutt

Hey mods I've just noticed this thread has been moved into adjudicators comments but I put in rehersal room as the Gala isn't a contest.
  13. BrotherBone

BrotherBone Member

Your aim.... (ill bring the vodka chick... ;) )
  14. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

15. Nat

Nat Member

im going but not playing, im picking my new puppy up in middlesborough then stopping off to watch my mum is playing with greggs and they have a few actors in among them as they are doing a stage version of brassed off- lets hope this gloria can mime playing properly. prepare for mixture off brassed off music when they march past
  16. cwmamanbird

cwmamanbird Member

Cwmaman Band (South Wales) have been invited this year and the band are looking forward to the trip (with the exception of the extremely long bus trip up)!!

I wont be there as me & my other half are off to Wimbledon, so thanks again to Andy Tossell from Tongwynlais for depping for me...

Cheers mate, will owe you a few beers when I see you next..
  17. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Sounds like my intention. I think we're aiming for a 9.30 start from the market square.
  18. lucretia

lucretia Member

Oooh - very jealous. I've done the gala a few times with Pittington band (village local to Durham) and always enjoyed it.

Have fun and a pint for me at the Swan & Three Cygnets (cheapest pint in town when I was last there...!)
  19. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Dun Cow/ Court Inn/ Prison Warders for me then who knows.....
  20. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

I can't go. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! :( :( I'm at work teaching the youth of today to play brass instruments (I think!) But I may manage the Warders for half an hour then a very sober march out.