Durham Miner's Gala 2011 ....Who's Going?

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by Drummer_cornetgirl91, Jun 5, 2011.

1. dave jake

dave jake Member

Dunston will be there and by tradition we will be the last band onto the racecourse and if allowed by the police will be the last band to perform outside The County on the way in, ending the parade with Gresford as always. So I would ask all the bands on the way in not to mlilk it at The County and get a move on.

2. LittleEuph

LittleEuph Member

I have heard that there has been a time limit imposed this year on bands playing at the County of no more than 4 minutes... Anyone else heard that or anything similar?

3. slider

slider Member

Harton's New Banner and Band GPS tracking

Westoe Band are leading the new Harton Banner to the Cathedral but (unfortunately) the banner will be blessed without the Band. tip. Playing in the Cathedral remember not to fill your bladder before hand or the service seems very very long.

As an experiment for the last march Westoe played I used the sports activity tracking software Endomondo to record our progress. See it at www.westoeband.co.uk I'll track the band again on Saturday and publish on Band website. If anyone else tracks their Band's speed and direction through Durham I'll publish your map also.

4. winterman

winterman Member

Hint for the bands going to the Cathedral..

We were asked to do this on our first ever time at Durham (no clue at all what to expect from the day at all before arrival!) with the Washington banner. A hot day to say the least!

The street up to the Cathedral is fairly steep so take it steady. We took one look at it and went "Erm... *&%^" and then decided, that being a special day for the Lodge, we would play all the way up it! Upon arrival at the top into the Cathedral Square, St Johns Ambulance promptly put our Bass Drummer on oxygen (no joke), strapped up a couple of other sporting injuries and told us "You do realise that no-one up here can actually hear you until you get to the flat bit?!"

Not sure if they were just having a laugh, but might be something to consider ;)

AND DEFINITELY go to the loo before the service!!

Oh and a general tip, we have decided to shield our Trombones a bit by putting them the row behind the Basses for safety as people WILL be dashing about in front of you obviously oblivious to the Army of large heavy metal about to trample them down (that and ours have a habit of charging off on a 100 metre sprint rather than a Marathon, not quite so easy with a Bass ;) )!

Frantically sorting out last minute details here before a fantastic day tomorrow (5:30am set off!)! Hope to see some of you around! :D

5. Lucian Carstairs

Lucian Carstairs New Member

It's a fantastic day....hope the weather is kind.....hope to see friends past and present at the Warders Club.....Have a great day everyone...:)

6. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

For the first time in a few years I won't be there, due to family commitments daahn saarf. Though I'd like to extend a thankyou to all the bands who offered me a seat on the bus.

PS. I have a favour to ask. If anyone sees the banner from Delves Lane and Crookhall Colliery out and about, do us a favour and ask someone holding it for a chap called Beck. He should be easy to find. Small chap, moustache, dove tatoos on the wrists, and usually wears a baseball hat. If you find him, tell him the ex-members of Yorkshire co-op wish him and the folks around the banner all the very best. :)

7. ringa

ringa Member

felling band will be there with a little bit of a surprise at the "County"

8. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Not sure if there's a time limit as such, but most bands only play a single concert piece. Some of the early bands might play more than one if there's no queue yet, but when the queue starts to form its advisable to stick to only one piece because everyone behind you will resent you big style if you don't......

9. DaveBBb

DaveBBb Member

What a fantastic day. At 65 years old this was my first and hopefully not my last participation in this gala. Although next time I will humph an EEb and not a BBb Bass. At some stage in their banding career every bandsperson should take part in this event. Supportive locals and excellent hosts. Bravo to the Durham Miners a memorable day. It's now Monday and I am only just recovering ;-)

10. winterman

winterman Member

Never a truer word spoken Dave.. Another excellent day indeed! Glad you've managed to finally experience it and I hope you'll enjoy many more now you've been initiated! :)

It sums it all up when the thousands of revellers stay out in the torrential rain to cheer on and support the bands and banners!

11. kennywenny

kennywenny Member

Well what a day...it was a first experience of the Gala and I cannot wait until next year .
    The atmosphere was supurb and to listen to all the bands enjoying themselves was fantastic. we were lucky to play in the cathedral and we marched the Boldon banner in to I will walk with God. It was a proud moment for me and one I wont forget for a longtime.

If anybody has never done the gala before, make sure you do next year .....:clap: