Durham League Contest Date

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Notebook, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Notebook

Notebook Member

Is the contest still scheduled for the 16th November (same day as Brass in Concert - which clever people picked that date?) or has it been changed to a more sensible date?

Nothing has been issued since the last meeting, there's nothing on the league website and not everyone can attend meetings.
  2. SopranoGod

SopranoGod Member

I quickly glanced at the paper work for it yesterday after band and saw it was still the 16th.

It's a bit **** like but you maybe able to make it if your on first lol
  3. bigcol

bigcol Member

Yes the contest is scheduled for the 16th November.
  4. Notebook

Notebook Member

I know a few of bands who asked for it to be mentioned at the last meeting of the League.

I take it that the date was A) discussed at the meeting on the 15th March and kept the same or B) it wasn't!

As usual the Durham League make a mess of things. Doesn't matter where you're drawn or what section you're in, this will affect a number of players, officials and familys who go together to BIC. The League don't know what goes on outside their own little world. I bet no consideration was given to the date and what was on. If they did .....

I note that bands still haven't been issued with any minutes from the last meeting and the website isn't showing any dates for it.
  5. bigcol

bigcol Member

I manage the website and was there on the 15th and am still awaiting details on the DLI and Grading contest from the committee before I publish them. I think there is an issue with 2 regrading appeals which need to be sorted out before it is all published.

There was a very good attendance at the last meeting and the date clashing with BIC was never mentioned. The 'few bands' as you say must have all missed the meeting.

The contact details for the committee are on the site if anything needs clarifying.

6. Notebook

Notebook Member

...which is a waste of time, as calls are never returned , wrong dates are given (i.e. the DLI contest which was originally given as midweek!!), or it takes weeks for information to be given.

Added to this the continual cock-ups by the commitee (just look at last year when percussion equipment was not ordered and bands took to the stage without the correct equipment or not telling the adjudicator one year that the venue had been changed and not providing them with scores) and you see why bands are so apethetic to them. This clash of dates is another fine mess.

Sorry if you feel different Colin. I'm sure we'll chat over the weekend about it.
  7. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

If you have a complaint I suggest you take it up with the association. My calls and e-mails are always returned.

My band is one of the bands who were going to bring up the date of the contest clashing. However I was at work the day of the meeting and I only found out afterwards that the dep I had organised didn't make it.

However if you're not there to raise your point you can't complain if it doesn't get discussed.
  8. dak

dak New Member

Its very easy to complain !
    You could attend meetings, you could offer help or alternative suggestions
    I am sure the people at DBBA give up their free time so that people like notebook can feel fulfilled.

David Kendall
  9. Notebook

Notebook Member

Ah, I see the famous old argument has raised its head again.

Not everyone can, or is able to, give up their time or offer help. However, suggestions have been made and ignored in the past, as have offers of help.

It seems that by giving of your free time is an acceptable excuse for not doing a job properly. I wonder if you would be 'fulfilled' if you faced the problems we've had over the years.

Also most bands don't have the priveldge of being 'committee bands'. Whenever I've contacted them for info for the press teams, I've not once had a reply from an official.

I've had to go through friends (actually at Murton), or Colin H. who is actually not an official but the 'upkeeper' of the website.

Something has got to be sorted out as the date clash is causing problems for a few bands.

Anyway, back to my research for the Darlo regional this weekend
  10. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Regardless of complaining or volunteering oneself for committees etc, it remains nevertheless, rather short sighted to have the League on that date. Surely it shouldn't need member bands to raise the issue at committee meetings, as it should be as plain to the committee as it is to the rest of us that that date is a clash!
  11. bigcol

bigcol Member

I still go back to my original point - of the 15 or so bands there at the last committee meeting not one band objected to the contest being held on 16th November. What can be taken from that? The objectors either a) decided to voice their opinion by abstaining or b) couldn't be bothered to make the point either in person or via letter.

I'm not sticking up for anyone - I'm not a committee member but I am one who attends meetings and puts across points, which are usually discussed (indeed the Youth Brass Festival has grown from an idea I seeded last year). But like any organisation if they aren't aware of an issue (BIC doesn't affect a lot of bands - only 1 band in the North East directly) then they cannot address it.

I suggest the bands who are unhappy contact Mavis or Vaughan ASAP or for once attend a meeting or two.
  12. geordiecolin

[disclaimer]Just to clarify, my thoughts on this issue are my own and are not necessarily shared by Westoe Band! [/disclaimer]
  13. bigcol

bigcol Member

;) wimp - you know you want to :biggrin:
  14. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I think the real problem is only being pre-empted as I assume it will be nearer the time when MDs ask their band who can make it. Those that have tickets or would rather put BIC first will probably leave the MDs with deps to find and thats when you will have bands pulling out. I guess it depends on how loyal the players are and how many people go to BIC really.
  15. geordiecolin

Either way, its not particularly healthy for either event...
  16. tindagrae

tindagrae New Member

We have around 90% of the Band who make BIC an annual event now it's held at the Sage so if the date is the 16th, I doubt very much my band will be there.

I have a very loyal and committed band who throughout the banding calender make many sacrifices to attend rehearsals, engagements and contests. Taking this into account, I wouldn't be prepared to ask them if they would do the League contest (although I'm sure they would) because it is a 'rolling' committment that the band go to BIC - simple as.

I can see both sides to the argument that is unfolding with Notebook's point that why didn't the league committee have the forsight to check dates before even suggesting the 16th. Had they realised, I'm sure another date would have been chosen. There are many contests on and around late October/November including Pontins, St Helens, BIC and The Scottish Open so I appreciate it must be difficult to find a date to suit all. Although, bigcol makes the point that the date was discussed at the meeting on the 15th but obviously nobody there realised (or it wasn't an issue for the bands represented) so can the committee really be held to account? Not sure if Felling had a rep at the meeting (I suspect not before anybody has a pop!) but I'm sure they wouldn't have realised either!

To try and sort this issue out, and make sure the League is well supported, has anyone brought the date clash to the DCBBA committee's attention? I'm more than happy to contact Mavis if necessary.
  17. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Somehow I don't think the organisers of BiC will be shaking in their shoes wondering if the League is going to affect their ticket sales...;)
  18. geordiecolin

Good point well made!
  19. Lucian Carstairs

Lucian Carstairs New Member

Hmmmmmm....Brass In Concert?.....or the Durham League Contest..?...Well, it's Peterlee for me..!!!!...( just don't know about the rest of my band though....:-? ...)
  20. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Looks like this is a bigger problem than it seems........St Helens is the same day too, what about the bands that go there as well? hmmm