Durham League Contest 2008

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Bass Man, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

This years contest is being held at Peterlee Leisure Centre on Sunday 23rd November 2008. Testpieces are:

Section A: Spectrum (Gilbert Vinter)
    Section B: Rhapsody in Brass (Dean Goffin)
    Section C: Sinfonnietta (Joseph Horovitz)
    Section D: St Andrews Variations (Alan Fernie)

Felling will be there, and I must say that I am looking forward to Spectrum after the rigours of Cloudcatcher Fells.

Who else is going?
  2. GeordieSop

GeordieSop Member

Westoe unfortunately will not be attending this year :-(
  3. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

A good selection of test pieces this year though... Spectrum and Rhapsody in Brass are two of my favourites!
  4. bigcol

bigcol Member

Backworth are there, as well as Lanchester so I'm told.

The draw is not being made public this year, although it has already taken place and secretaries are aware of their draw.
  5. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Rhapsody in Brass quickly became one of my least favourite pieces after Westoes infamous performance at Butlins 2003, don't think you were there for that one mate

Really looking forward to getting stuck into Spectrum tonight
  6. geordiecolin

Not with Westoe. But I did play in that contest as I was playing for Barnsley Building Soc at the time, in fact it was my 1st contest with them. I remember watching your performance from the back of the hall (weren't you drawn last?)

I think we came 6th in the end and hence my memory of RiB is probably more pleasurable than yours!
  7. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I can't remember the draw, but I certainly remember being placed last, ha ha ha
  8. geordiecolin

Well, make sure you catch a band playing it at the League, it may sound better now!
  9. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Probably won't get a chance mate, we'll more than likely be rehearsing while B section are on. We ran through it a few weeks back, brought all of those memories flooding back!