Durham Brass Festival

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by Brian Bowen, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

From a flier recently received, I see there's a notable series of band concerts starting tonight at the Gala Theatre, Durham. Following the fuss made at the Brighouse concert held at the same place a while back, it seems the advertisers have learned their lesson. The heading says:
    "In keeping with the adventurous and celebratory spirit of the festival the programme of all three bands will include work that is complex, contemporary and challenging. Some work may be unfamiliar but quality, skill and passion for the music is quaranteed."

The concerts are:
    11 June, 7:30 Grimethorpe Colliery/Elgar Howarth/soloists
    19 June, 7:30 Reg Vardy Brass Band/Ray Farr/soloists
    25 June, 7:30 Brighouse & Rastrick/Ray Farr/soloists

From the titles listed, these concerts are definitely aimed at those who have progressed beyond deckchair music in the park and not those seeking to hear the "Floral Dance".

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It cetainly looks to be a good programme - pity we don't live in Sunderland any more ;)

3. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I never ever thought I'd ever hear anyone say that.. The last I heard, people were hanging on to the outside of Metro trains in their efforts to escape Albania-on-Wear!! ;)

4. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

:clap:

5. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Tsk tsk boys, don't you know we've got culture now??????????

6. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

:roll: Well I suppose Durham has a brass festival which is culture, and Sunderland is after all just a small town in Durham, so yes, ergo sum, Sunderland can just about claim to have a tenuous link to culture. :s

But not much culture..... :biggrin: :biggrin: ;)