Durham Association Contest Feb 1st

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by michellegarbutt, Jan 21, 2004.

1. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Does anyone know which bands have entered for the Durham Association contest at Spennymoor on Feb 1st. I'd especially like to know whos in the 3rd section

2. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

yup was at the draw - wait and see :wink:

3. michellegarbutt

Come on Lynda. Please tell I don't want to know the draw just who's in our section. It's like getting blood out of a stone trying to find out any info from our secretary

4. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Stape Silver are going. I'm cadging a lift on their bus, so, I'll see you in the bar. :guiness

Sud

5. Bob Thompson

Bob Thompson Member

Linda......tell her is playing ya g*t.......smiles,,,,,,,,,,,,it is public knowledge anyway, I just cant recall or I would tell myself

6. imthemaddude

I sat next to her secretary at the draw so I think Murton might be going?

........................................ any more offers?

7. imthemaddude

Ooooo michelle if u text me the night before when I'm not frantically trying to practice and find all the bands music and a copy of oceans then I might remember to return ur trainers I so gratefully had to borrow when i played for CIN!

8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

there are 6 bands playing in the 3rd section...
    I'll be there with Bearpark and Esh...

The draw was taken for all sections over the weekend...

9. bigcol

bigcol Member

Competing bands:

Section A:

Broughtons
    CLS Riverside
    Felling (Think they've withdrawn)
    Fishburn
    Greggs
    Peterlee
    Kirkbymoorside
    Langbaurgh

Section B:

Barnard Castle
    BHK Horden
    Cockerton (Withdrawn)
    Easington
    Ferryhill
    Gateshead Brass
    Houghton
    Pride Valley
    Spennymoor

Section C:

Bearpark & Esh
    Hetton
    Lanchester
    Murton
    Stape
    Wansbeck Ashington

Section D:

Billingham
    Durham Constab
    Five Rivers
    Lockwood
    Stanhope

10. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Yey come on Horden!!!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Durham Association Contest
    :P
    Band
    Resurgam
    Lol
  12. jambo

jambo Member

Cheers Blondie,

Should be a good day in the bar (edited - Mod. PB).

I'm not gonna hold out for a result though. A pre-draw 2 weeks before and contesting band members on the committee, call me a synic ..but...

Not saying that it will be abused of course but i'm not a fan of the pre draw...whats the point, to save half an hour on the morning of a contest? If its a pre draw then adjudication may as well be open, then we can all shine our shoes and look pretty for the judges too.

13. The Durham league committee work really hard and I think that's an unfair comment. I take it that you will think they are marvellous if you win?

BTW I have nothing to do with the committee.

14. And the winners could be:

Section A: Fishburn

Section B: BHK Horden

Section C: Wansbeck Ashington

Section D: Lockwood

15. Bob Thompson

Bob Thompson Member

Anyone know why Ever Ready arent playing?

16. michellegarbutt

I was at the meeting when it was decided to have a pre draw. It was done last year as there was building works going on at the leisure centre and storage space was short. It was felt it would be easier if bands knew what time they would be playing so they could get their equipment in and out. The feedback after the contest was good and most bands that were there said they preferred this system so we decided to continue it again this year. If you don't like the decisions that are being taken tell your band representative and make sure that representative is going to the next meeting. Quite frankly I spent 3 years as contest secretary of Sacriston and never missed a meeting unless I organised a dep to go for me. But most of the meetings I went to out of the 40+ bands that were registered with the association you were lucky if there were six representatives there. If your rep doesn't go then you can't expect to have a say in how the association or contest is run.

p.s. thanks Colin

17. boneman0970

boneman0970 Member

I take it Horden mania has spread the country and why not they are are very good band,but I think your underestimating one band which has been in the Championship Section for sometime and may be the dark horses.
    We will see on the day.....
    COMMMMMMMMMMMME ON GATESHEAD!!!!!!!!!

18. bigcol

bigcol Member

It's spelt cynic, the contest has always been pre-drawn in recent years to make it easier for bands to prepare. There is only one person who knows who the adjudicator is, and he isn't affiliated with any band.

No point causing trouble - esp. when you are clear favourites to win anyway! Or are you getting your excuses in early :p

19. bigcol

bigcol Member

Horden have been represented both at the AGM and the draw this year, so the powers that be there must either not mind the pre-draw system, or have elected to support it at least for this contest.

Nice to see everyone singing off the same hymn sheet (!)

Anytime Michelle. Don't think your new secretary was quite with it at the draw :wink:

20. Resurgam

Resurgam Member

Firstly may I say that Jambos comments do not reflect the thoughts or beliefs of the members of the BHK Band. His post reflects his own personal opinion and views and in a free and democratic society he is entitled to do this.
    As Band manager I represented the BHK Band at the AGM and the Meeting on Saturday 17th January, I supported the decision of the members present and I have no objections to this. I would also agree with michellegarbutt and add that attendances at Association meetings are essential for all member Bands if they wish to ensure the continued success of the Association, I think it is only fair to say that if your Band is not represented at meetings then you have to accept what decisions are made as these are made following full and comprehensive debate. As a former Secretary of the Association I can remember the time when we used to have 30 to 40 members present, we certainly have slipped over recent years.

With regard to favorites or forecasting the winners; well, I would rather leave this to the adjudicator who ever he or she may be, I am sure they will give what they feel is an honest and true decision. At the end of the day you just have to accept the adjudicators decision as final, if you are not in the frame then you just look forward to the next one.

With regard to Horden mania spreading the Country well what next, yes they were very successful during 2003 any Band winning two National Championships have got to be pleased with their progress and have a certain ammount of confidence. I must add however that all the other competing Band will be feeling the same way, I certainly do not think that they are all going for the ride and the booze!!! ( dont believe what Graham says he is going there to win) I have no doubt your own Band will be working very hard and feeling very confident, so they should, they were a Championship Band for many years and you would not be engaging a professional conductor if you thought otherwise. Indeed on your own website a member of the Band recently stated that you should win the contest by a 3 miles so that is confidence surely.

Good luck to all competing Bands.

21. Re: Durham Association Contest

No way! I won it last year with Cockerton so I just want to enjoy the day and let someone else win.

Totally agree with that. This contest has always had excellent adjudicators so the best band will win on the day.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    :P
    Band
    Resurgam
    Lol