Duplicate Place Names

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by nook1938, Aug 1, 2006.

1. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

Everyone has heard or been to York [ hopefully ], but can anyone pinpoint another York, Clue: I used to go through this village on my way home. [ check profile]. ;)

What I am looking for is a County and nearest large Town/City. :clap:

John

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    County
    York
    John
    nearest large Town
    City
  3. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

We've got a New York in Tyne and Wear. (And a Quebec, and a Philadelphia, and a Bloomfontein) Anyone know any other "famous" places in Britain? PS sorry for being a bit off topic. :oops:

4. nook1938

Hi Mrs Fruity, as you say a bit off topic, what I was after is the location to the other York, but I will tell you anyway: IN Lancashire near Blackburn off the A666.

John

5. 1st Position

1st Position Member

There is Newcastle - on Tyne, and under Lyme.
    Hull - Kingston Upon in East Yorkshire, and plain Hull In Canada.
    There are at least three Easingtons on the East Coast - one in East Yorkshire, two in County Durham.

6. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

once we were going on aband trip to Germany, to a small village called "Dorenhagen". A couple of members of the band couldn't make it to get on the bus, so they would drive by car and catch up with us. However, they drove to village called "Dornhagen", which was "only" 200 or 300 kilometer from where the rest of the band was... :D

7. nook1938

Acomb near York and another Acomb in Northumberland.

John

8. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I was once staying with a friend as a skittish young thing when an exhausted wagon driver turned up at the farm. He'd driven all the way up from Kent and was not pleased to be told by 2 giggling 11-year-olds that he should be in Westbury, Hampshire, not Westbury, Shropshire...
    BMB
    xx

9. Bungle

Bungle Member

There's a couple of Washington's around the UK. There are two Gilligham's (Kent and Dorset) which both have Brass Bands.

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Hadleigh in Suffolk & Hadleigh in Essex are frequently being confused, and as for "Pentre"s in South Wales you're rather spoilt for choice - as our solo clarinet found out when he turned up at one as the rest of the ensemble was about to start our concert in the next valley :oops:

11. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Duplicate ones off the top of my head:-
    Newport, St Ives, Newquay, Alton, Ashley, Carlton, Middleton.....to name a few!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    County
    York
    John
    nearest large Town
    City
  13. timbloke

timbloke Member

Driving from Sheffield to Worksop it is easy to take a quick detour through Wales and then Rhodesia. Not to metion that Ireland band rehearse a few miles in the other direction.

14. cookie2

cookie2 Member

Scholes, they seem to be everywhere.
    And, I'm pleased to say, there are two Stanningtons :clap: The main one in Sheffield (obviously) and a young pretender which I spotted on my way to Almouth, so I guess it's in Northumberland somewhere. But I believe there is only one Lomas Hall.

15. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Up here in Scotland we have a Moscow in Ayrshire and California near Falkirk.

Not strictly speaking a duplicate but a good one anyway there is also a place called Lost in Aberdeenshire. They keep getting the village name signs and roadsigns nicked. Like the one below.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  16. squirrel

squirrel Member

In South Sheffield there's the hip and trendy Woodseats full of vibrant, attractive, young professionals (and me), and in North Sheffield, there's a backwater called Wood Seats

Of course there's actually another Sheffield in Cornwall, but I do believe there's only one Penistone...

17. squirrel

squirrel Member

Most people don't realise, but there are two ****t's - one in the Orkneys and one in the Shetlands

Doh! Caught out by the profanity filter :-(

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  18. squirrel

squirrel Member

There's London, and there's a London Ho in North Yorkshire - does that count?
    Leeds the City, Leeds Town in Kent, and Leedstown, which is a town in Cornwall :)

(ok now I ought to get back to work....)

19. cookie2

cookie2 Member

Full of North-style oicks I suppose? :mad: Still, gives you south types an alternative to foxes.

The country's only big enough for one Penistone.....

And stop trying to get rude words on, you know you'll never get away with it!

20. nook1938

A double Leeds, one in Yorkshire the other in Kent, along with Leeds Castle and thats one place I would like to visit.

John

21. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

We have Eye and yaxley in suffolk within a couple of miles of each other. near Peterborough you will find Eye and Yaxley also within a stones throw of each other.

Also, New York in Lincs, not far from Boston

22. Di

Di Active Member

There's a Califorinia near Caistor-on-Sea on the east coast and Denton in Darlington, Yorkshire, Manchester, Lincolnshire, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Northamptonshire, Oxfordshire, Kent and Sussex. :eek: