Duke of Edinburgh Award

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Leyfy, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

This kind of carries on from my 'Introduce yourself' thread but anyone out there involved with the DofE scheme? Anyone been sneaky and used banding as their skill?

I did for my gold - a whole year of playing in a band as 1/5th of my award. What a chore!!! ;)

Nice to be rewarded for doing something you love :D
  2. six pints

six pints Active Member

I have fully completed my bronze, did the expeditions for silver and gold but nver got round to completing he award (despite the fact for silver at least i do everything i needed automatically...)
  3. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Personal question, but you under 25? Still got the books? Get em signed and send 'em off!!! You'll still get your award as it can be completed up to the age of 25.

Sorry, its the DofE leader in me, I can't help it ;)
  4. Kaskaey

Kaskaey Member

i did my orchestral playing for bronze and brass banding for silver! however im also one that failed to complete my silver! Skills is the best part of the award! i didnt have to do anything new!!
  5. six pints

six pints Active Member

havent got the books anymore im afraid... :(
  6. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I am involved.

I did start off by using banding as my skill but once I completed my 'Mountain Leader' certificate I became involved as a leader. I'm actually going to St. James palace at the end of march to see all the little terrors get their awards from the Duke himself.
  7. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I used band for my Bronze but seeing as it took the school so long to help me get my bronze i never did silver, although i did do my sister's gold expedition as part of the group.

Got quite far in my Queen's Scout Award as well but never quite finished it and much of that could have gone towards my gold also
  8. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

hehe for my silver I used banding as my skill, played badminton as my sport and played badminton for my sport - both of which I did already. So all I needed to do was coach badminton for an hour a week, do the walk and that was me done!
  9. I did the bronze and used banding as my skill and public service!!!! Since I help conduct and teach at a youth band. Everything went through fine. Would recommend it the certicate/s look good in any C.V :)
  10. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

I'm doing my Bronze at the moment! I'm very sneaky- for my skill I'm using band, for my physical recreation I'm doing after school netball, and for my service I go to Brownies! Apart from Brownies, I did the activities anyway... but I will be joining Brownies permanently now anyway... D of E got me involved in something I love!
  11. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

Flutey, you are me (but younger)!

I did my Bronze DofE at school and I did orchestra for my skill, school lacrosse team for my physical activity and I did Brownies for my service as well. And just like you, I loved Brownies so much I carried on helping out after I had finished the necessary hours for my DofE.

The only bit of DofE that required me doing something special was the expedition and I am really NOT a camping kind of girl!
  12. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

I'm getting really excited about the expeditions!!! I think I might start to disagree after 7 miles though...
  13. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Slow and steady, don't rush yourself. I always tell my guys it's a marathon not a sprint
  14. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

To bring an old thread back...

Obviously nothing to do with me and my friends letting the rest of the group do the work for once... *rolls eyes* we did the practice walk without their help!

And I can't find my books.... EEK!!
  15. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Good luck! Just look for tick features on your map and you'll be fine :)

I was out all weekend with my bronze practice expedition. 30 students and me in charge. the joys! All made it (minus one twisted ankle - which was caused by playing rugby at the campsite! D'oh!!) so I'm a happy teacher :)
  16. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Lucky you!! That's gonna be us this weekend, but I doubt my teachers will be as lucky!

I'm gonna give people hell with my grass allergy :tongue: Piriton doesn't work and have just discovered that I'm allergic to Zirtek, so now I'm unwilling to try anything else!
  17. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

One of the hazards of going camping is that you end up in a field full of DofEers, falling over their guy ropes, standing in their baked beans, having strops and generally providing amusement for older campers. :D
    Ya gotta love 'em really. At least they're not out mugging old ladies...
  18. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Ugh. We will NOT be eating baked beans. That's the last thing I will ever do. In fact, I'd rather not eat. Or eat a roasted badger, either way, better than baked beans.
    As for the strops... no comment :tongue:.
    We don't mug old ladies! Honest!!!
  19. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Dunno about roasted badger - but baked beans are fine - as long as they are not in a can - cos cans are heavy and students INVARIABLY forget to bring a tin opener and end up trying to bash them open on nearest rock/heads of other students (;)) etc, etc!

Pasta is the past, present and future of DofE food!
  20. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Nah... I generally like MOST people doing D of E. Pasta much preferred!