Duet for Flugel and Cornet

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by flugelgal, Aug 24, 2004.

1. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I have been asked (instructed/ordered) to find some cornet/flugel duets.

Does anybody have any recommendations of some (or even some cornet duets that would work well on cornet/flugel) that we could try? I think we probably want something that is a little bit challenging but not toooo hard...

2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Pie Jesu from Lloyd-Webber's requiem? (Sop and flugel perhaps)

Concertino Classico? - or excerpts thereof (Horovitz)
  3. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Thanks Dave, but I should have specified Bb cornet... :oops:

I don't know this - what's it like?
  4. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Norman Bearcroft did an arrangement of The Flower Duet (Delibes) which was published in The Salvation Army Festival Series Journal a while back.
    If you're not familiar with the title, the tune has been used for British Airways TV adverts for some years.
    It's not on our website at the moment but a full set (complete with full score) would be £24.95.
    Send me an email or PM if interested.
  5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Depends how challenging your after? (It is originally a trumpet or cornet duet. I've seen it performed live by trumpet - John Wallace and cornet - Roger Webster so cornet and flugel isn't beyond the realms of possibility). It's about Grade 6 standard for both players (that's my own estimation, others who know it may have a different view). There are 2 recordings about (I think) One called Horovitz Music for Brass Band on the Polyphonic label and another album entitled Procession to the Minster by Fairey (on the Grasmere label) if you want to hear what it sounds like.

I personally think the slow movement would work better for cornet/flugel duet than perhaps the outer movements (again, others may wish to differ!)

The music is published by Novello and Co, and therefore available through Studio Music.
  6. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Ta! Will speak to the cornet player in question and investigate further!

7. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

there is a brilliant arrangement of the Flower Duet by Philip Sparke , it was recorded on Romance in Brass Vol 1 - 1991 Leyland DAF - played by Russell Gray and Philip McCann ( I think ) great CD if you can get hold of it...just slightly off topic there :wink:
  8. Moy

Moy Active Member

Think she could be looking for "romantic" duets.

Suggestion........"I Know Him So Well" for 2 cornets but would sound even better with Flugel and preferably an Irish cornet player. :wink:
  9. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Here Moira, why don't you let me take that spoon away from you....
  10. skweeky

skweeky Member

Pie Jesu is written for a Bb instrument on the lower part and optional Eb or Bb on the top part. Where it would normally be sop and flugel, on the back of the soprano part there is the transposed part for top Bb cornet. A beautiful duet!! I fully reccomend it.
  11. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Thanks - I've played this though with a sop. I quite fancy something I haven't played before. But ta anyway!
  12. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Duet for Two Cats - Rossini....(although i'm not too keen on it myself)
  13. Moy

Moy Active Member

Na like playing with it..................see you soon :wink:
  14. SteveT

SteveT Member

I have just done "Me & My Shadow" alla Robbie Williams / Sinatra... so I could let you try it prior to publication. I am used to e-mailing music to my mate Moira.... (free of course.... she is a scot)!