Dry Mouth

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jack, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Jack

Jack Member

very often when im playing i get a really dry mouth and it usually gets to the point that its so dry i cant play...

i have now recently started taking a bottle of water to every rehearsal and every concert. Its not just when i am playing in public though as i need a glass of water whenever i am practicing.

As you can probably tell this is very annoying and i was wondering if anyone knew any ways on how to avoid getting a very dry mouth?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    im
    bottle
    public
    glass
    mouth
  3. shellie

shellie Member

A drop on lemon juice in your mouth before you play should help.
    i did this once before a contest (Unexpectedly squirted into my mouth) by suprise it worked
    hope it helps

4. floppymute

floppymute Member

Best tip I was ever given on this one - keep a packet of Fruit Pastilles in your pocket. You can chew one of those down quickly, even in the space of a few bars rest, and they stimulate the saliva glands better than anything.

5. matty1986

matty1986 Member

I know one of the childs brothers used to have a sponge attatched to his euph and would wet it incase he got dry while playing solo's.

I've found that if you touch the inside of your cheek with your tongue it stimulates the glands and helps a bit. But I alway's take water with me just incase :)

6. sop 1

sop 1 Member

I always chew gum when i play,really helps with saliva production! Water is no good as it washes the saliva away,or as shellie said some lemon juice or ant citrus as this produces saliva too! :D

7. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

i only take a bottle of water on to contests as soon as i get a chance to get some down i do it works

8. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

I would take a bottle of water with me but playing bass, it's another thing to carry!

9. mrs c

mrs c New Member

I played under an md who used to hand chocolate round before we went on stage, it was supposed to help stop a dry mouth but didnt do anything for me, I always have a small bottle of water with me when I am playing, although it can be a pain with handfuls of cornet mutes

10. Kinrao

Kinrao Member

Make sure you drink plenty of water at other times you may be generally dehydrated.

If you have dry lips that are peeling prone then the likelihood is you are.

11. yoda

yoda Member

try taking and energy sweet on stage, such as a lucozade sweet, and when you feel yourself starting to dry, just bite a little off the corner.

Instant moisture ;-)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    im
    bottle
    public
    glass
    mouth
  13. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

our solo horn player sucks tomatoes before he goes on a contest stage.

14. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I must have a more vivid imagination than most as all this talk of lemons has me slavering already! Peppermint has the opposite effect - makes my mouth go all claggy and dry. One reason why I never chew gum.

Of course, in those days, anyone who needed water on stage was a horn player! ;)

15. BASEMANIAN

BASEMANIAN Member

lick your finger and rub it behind your ear it works every time

16. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I suffered from this a lot and James O'Brien sorted the problem for me.

Scrape your tongue fairly strongly on your top teeth. Works every time cos the saliva glands are stimulated by it as a defense thing.
    I always carry water anyway just in case, but generally find I don't really need it any more thanks to this.

17. flug_gal

flug_gal Member

I'm reckoning from your post it's not a condition which plagues you outside of playing, if I'm wrong , please correct me.
    If so, I think the lemon juice is a good idea, the acidity will cause your mouth to water, if you want to avoid this lemon on stage stuff ;) say you have a long concert, Boots do a good mouthwash for dry-mouth, it's in their experts range and is clear. A rinse with this before each half seems to work for me.
    Gum for me is just a little too risky, and a bit gross if you're taking it out/putting it in again.

18. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I once saw this done at solo contest many years ago

19. Mephistopheles

Mephistopheles New Member

My ex husband used to swear by a cup of tea and a good smooch, be carefull who you smooch though, it led to our divorce!

20. Flugelgeoff

Flugelgeoff Member

I used to suffer from dry mouth syndrome as a conductor! Not a problem until you need to announce the programme etc. The more you think about it the worse it gets so I can only assume it is related to nerves. Anyway now as a player I drink water but am going to try the lemon juice. Hopefully this will work.

21. brownrob

brownrob Member

I usually take 2 cherry tomatoes just before i go onstage (not the beef tomatoes! :D ) as I suffered a case of dry mouth at a contest in Feb and mucked up my part, but the tomato worked the treat and have had no problems since

Alan Morrison told me that and he says he has done it for years, he was adjudicating our contest and was ever so nice :)

So what works for him should work for me ;)