Dry Mouth Problem

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Meerkat, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Meerkat

Meerkat New Member

For the past few weeks I have been suffering with a dry mouth resulting in the inability to produce notes, it has happened at rehearsal and also at a contest. I've never experienced this before and have always performed reasonably in a contest situation. Any advice would be much appreciated.
  2. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Good tip.
    When you get a dry mouth, bite the tip of your tongue lightly, gets saliva flowing through the mouth.

3. tim

tim Member

Look at the sectoin on nervousness has some great advice. Not suggeting you arte nervous at all buyt gives a good way to moisten mouth.

Also so excellent basic advice many people don't do and some excellent advanced advice paticularly for trombonists!!
  4. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

In every rehearsal, concert and contest situation, I always have a bottle of water next to me. I feel terribly insecure without one! But it also moistens the mouth (shock! horror!) ... :)
  5. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

For the first time on sunday, I took a bottle of water on stage with me at a contest!
    Normally, if i get a dry mouth while im on stage, I just scrape my tongue across my teeth, it helps a bit until you get hold of some water afterwards!
  6. Alice

Alice Member

7. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

my teacher was once telling me he used to get dry mouth
    some one told him that, if before he went on stage he took a bit out of an apple then stuck that in his pocket, everytime it happened he could suck on the apple, and the juices, bring your saliva out
    he did this, never got a dry mouth again, never even needed to suck on the apple, the fact that he had it just in case prevented it
    obviously he ate the apple after 8)

I just take water
  8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I always take a bottle of water on with me at concerts and contests. It helps psychologically if nothing else, theres nothing worse than drying up in the middle of a contest!
    The downside is, of course, you start to rely on it.
  9. markymark

markymark New Member

Tomato juice is the real thing for curing this (you can get small britvic bottles) a good swig before going on stage and you'll last for ages
    don't laugh untill you try it

10. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

I find that, whilst water will moisten the mouth, the best to actually stimulate saliva is to eat something with a taste to it before a performance. Fruit Pastilles or Fruit Gums or something like that are a good option. I always carry a packet or Fruit Pastilles with me at a concert or contest. The real challenge is not eating them all before I play! :oops:
  11. BFN

BFN Member

I went to a trombone master class a couple of years ago at the RSAMD, and the guy playing (can't remember his name...) said that the WORST thing to do is to take water, becasue your mouth doesn't retain it. He then went on to say that the best thing to do is to crush a Polo and leave the powder on your stand and to dab your tongue with it you get dry. Never tried it, but then again I never really need water - but VERY occasionally I take a sip from my spray bottle...
  12. winterman

winterman Member

A good quick way (which works for me) that a fellow player told me about , should you forget to take anything with you..

If you get dry, wet your finger with spit (as much as you need and gently rub it on the bump behind your ear.. apparently one of the sailva glands is triggered from there and you can get through most things.

I didn't believe but it has come in handy the last 3 contests I have done

13. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

I have found that too. Your mouth gets wet for abit then goes even drier :evil: i still use water (well... apple tango) in rehearsals, but not on contest stage normally
  14. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

This is invaluable.
    Never Fails.
  15. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Youre a percussionist :? :?: Or have you got other hidden talents?
  16. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Talents that were hidden for a pretty good reason.
  17. deezastar

deezastar Member

Is that before or after you get arrested for having suspected illegal substances?? :D
  18. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Well that's fair enough for him but it works for me. By playing a brass instrument you are losing water through the physical strain and the spit you lose through buzzing. Basically drinking water rehydrates you so you can keep your water levels up. It's easier to moisten your mouth if you are fresh rather than dehydrated.

So although I can take the point, saying that it's the worst thing to do sounds wrong to me. It sounds like saying that the worst thing to do when you're gasping for breath after a long phrase is breathe ... :shock:
  19. Meerkat

Meerkat New Member

Thanks for all the advice. Tried a few of the tips at rehearsal last night and didn't dry up once. :D
  20. drunkandy

drunkandy New Member

An old friend of mine used to drink water on concert stages, but had a hip flask with whisky for contests. He swore that the whisky got your saliva flowing. I tried it once and it did work.... wouldn't really recommend it for everyone, though!