Drunk Drivers at Christmas

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sparkling_quavers, Dec 22, 2005.

1. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Just had a call from my mum - apparently she has just been hit up the rear by another car which was driven by a VERY drunk driver. He then proceeded to drive off with quite a bit of damage to his car and half the tyre left on the road. She was going about 40, he was going, shall we say, alot faster. Apparently the police did catch up with him but not until he had also hit another car! This person wasn't just a bit over the limit he was at the blury eyed and slurred word stage (since he managed to mumble something before driving off). Thanks for small mercies - he didn't actually run her over when he was trying to escape! At least she is ok and the damage to her car isn't too bad. She will now have to wait to see if he is even insured - happy christmas!!
  2. Di

Di Active Member

Good to hear its only the car that got damaged and not your mum Rach.
  3. Rach_Horn

Rach_Horn Member

I hate drunk drivers...not only risking their own lives but everyone's else around them aswell!! I hope she is ok xx
  4. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Sorry to hear about this Rach. Its bad, but at least your Mum is ok, which is the most important thing.
  5. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Sorry to hear the news Rach.
  6. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

I agree. I'm sure that someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that, in Sweden, a first offence of drunken driving results in a 6 month ban, a second offence means a ban for life.
  7. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

The started a new thing in Ohio where convicted drunk drivers will have bright yellow plates the rest of their life (I think) once the have served their time, done their rehab and what not. (most States normally have white plates, so they'd stand out)

TIMBONE Active Member

I think that is correct Brian. As far as I know, in Sweden there is no limit either, even a mouthful of Grolsch is too much to drive. Even though I have a pint before I drive home from rehearsal sometimes, I would be more than happy if drinking and driving in the truest sense became law, (I would get a taxi to rehearsal or drink diet coke). Yes, I think a ban for life would be a good idea - I am sure it would mean less traffic on the roads! The downside though would be more illegal drivers and higher unemployment. :icon_cheesygrin:
  9. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I could see that as a major problem. Would my understanding be correct if I thought any illegal driver in England is uninsured?
  10. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

The trouble is that any long ban from driving just results in more people ignoring their ban. Which then puts the rest of us at risk from unsafe and uninsured vehicles! A case recently, down this way, where a totally illegal driver who was not even allowed to take lessons because of an eye problem, drove anyway. Knocked over and killed a lady, failed to stop and when eventually caught was given the pathetic sentance of 4 years for Causing Death by Dangerous Driving. He'll be out in 2!! To me his offence is at least Manslaughter and worth at least 10 years!
  11. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Get the Drink Driving and Death by Dangerous Driving laws changed to be the same as the man slaughter/GBH laws. It probably won't change people who still drink drive, but the stiffer punishment will act more as a deterrent once they come out.
    Also, a new system has to be brought in so that it is obvious when a car is insured and has a valid MoT certificate. In my opinion, they are a heck of a lot more important than the Car Tax we currently need to prove we have.

At least they caught the guy that did it, which is more than can be said for a lot of hit-and-run cases.