Drums of Thunder

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MartinT, Apr 11, 2005.

1. MartinT

MartinT Member

Something has been bugging me about Windows of the World/Drums of Thunder...

Is the vocal part ("Wambo!" and so forth :D )in any real African language, or is it just made up? I'm positive it's not Swahili, neither is it Arabic... West Africa somewhere, perhaps?

My money's on it being made up. Does Peter Graham frequent these hallowed halls, by any chance?
  2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

errrmmm.. isn't it "MAMBO" ?? ;-)
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

(The Wambo ethnic/tribal group actually makes up half the population of Namibia so I found out!)
  4. weenie

weenie Member

Who cares wot it is anyway, you can hardly hear anything past the percussion noise. Mind you, some bands have been known to sing something else other than wambo or mambo when playing this piece on stage!!
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

That's "West Side Story" - or should it be "Mest Side Story" :?: ;) :D
  6. Naomi McFadyen

:lol:.... Mambo is what is shouted in the first movement... (it's late ;-) ) :biggrin:
  7. MartinT

MartinT Member

Nope, I promise you: the cornets yell "Wambo!", whereupon the basses (and others?) yell (I nearly wrote "sing", but thought better of it):
    "Fayakum Wambo! Kum Wambo nee-soom-wa!" (I've added the exclamation marks for clarity ;) ).

It's all a load of fayakum wambo if you ask me...
  8. Naomi McFadyen

How about I ask Peter when I see him on Thursday? :biggrin: :lol:
    Better to ask from the man himself, don't you think?... ;-)
  9. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

My part says "Kum Wambo Waaaaaarrrrrr" or soemthing like that ( with a crescendo on "Kum")

"Mambo" is indeed shouted two times in the first and once again in the last movement.
  10. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

i just dont care... wambo is written on my part, as is mambo... but what i shout is neither.
  11. MartinT

MartinT Member

Sounds good to me!
  12. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

Rambo then!
  13. Sellers_Bird

i was thinkin more along the lines of zambo...:wink:
  14. stopher

stopher Member

I thought it was "Manboobs" - no wonder I get funny looks off the conductor when we play it!
  15. MartinT

MartinT Member

Hearing nothing from the direction of Peter Graham, I posted this query on USENET (sci.lang). I will quote the reply I received from a gent named Paul Townsend:

Any comments from Mr Graham's direction? ;)
  16. Sellers_Bird

pmsl! manboobs... what are you like:clap: