drummers attention

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Jessica, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Jessica

Jessica New Member

when you are drumming does it not hurt your arms

2. kevthedrummer

kevthedrummer Member

No U must be new to it :D

3. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

nah its alright, unless its stoopidly fast! (was gonna say summat else then but restricted myself :D too much of this i think :guiness ) anyhoo, no not really, but there is the odd occasion, i fink its a case of buildin up[ ur muscles with playin, so do abit, have a break, do abit more, have a break, and that way i fink u shid build up ur musckles.

but if u start off doin 10mins a day for a week or woteva, then go up 10mins for the next week, dunno if that would work, so dunno

4. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Only from sunburn. 8)

5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Sometimes, but I have had problems which I wouldn't dare worry you or anyone else with...

Just make sure you are as relaxed as possible, ie not gripping your sticks for dear life! and don't do too much in too little space of time...

Best thing is rest up! and as drummergurl says, have breaks often, espeically when practising... build it up to strengthen your muscles....

Ooh... and carrying drums before hand doesn't do you any favours either, if you then setup and play straight away! That's too mucho! :lol:

:)

6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle Member

marching with large clash cymbals does! doesnt holding up a cornet/trombone for ages hurt ur arms?! :wink:

7. Miss Presley

Miss Presley Member

Dunno bout anyone else, but my arms ache like mad after a march holding my cornet, also if I practise for too long aswell!

8. Miss Presley

Miss Presley Member

Sunburn, apart from today, where has the sun been?

9. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Try carrying a Euph or Bass around the streets for a few hours and then come and talk to me about pain :cry:

If you buy me a beer I'll cry into it for you.

10. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

As with any instrument (and I have tried with a few!) if you've been playing the instrument a few years, and are playing it correctly, then you should only get fatigued, rather than actually hurting. Everyone gets tired after long amounts of playing, however, I find with percussion, just like brass, it's best to do some kind of warm up before doing any long amounts of playing.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    attention
    drummers
    arms
    drummers attention
  12. mikelyons

I've never yet found either a bass strap that doesn't wear a groove in your shoulder or a lyre that sits in a comfortable place to allow pain free marching.

If you know of any, please let me know.

I'm not holding my breath. :)

13. jameshowell

jameshowell Active Member

Well it took me a while to get used to my new trumpet which weighs around 5lbs! Didn't half make my shoulders ache on long rehearsals or if i had a day with 2 0r 3 rehearsals in!

14. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

not normally, although I do remember one time after carrying 4 big books back to the library (stupidly holding them infront of me for about a mile walk from student halls) and not being able to lift my cornet in rehearsal for longer than a minute SERIOUSLY was not good!

15. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

dont practise then :D

16. jameshowell

jameshowell Active Member

Yeh, we wouldn't want to injure ourselves and have to sue our teachers for making us work too hard... :lol:

17. Naomi McFadyen

:shock: :shock: :shock:

18. drummergurl

lmao!! dont warroy naomi, u wont be sued by me! my lessons are too fun to even think about suing

19. Naomi McFadyen

Yaaaay :D Fankuuuuu :D

EDIT: WARROY?!?! LMAO!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

20. drummergurl

:oops: i mean worry stoooopid fingers

21. mikelyons

I have a better idea! :idea:

I think teachers should be allowed to sue students for inflicting pain and torture on our delicate ears during lessons. Just think! £500 every time some child presses the *beep* demo button on a keyboard, £1000 every time some cornet player asks if they can play "Titanic". £150 every time they forget their instrument/music..

Oh I can see the money rolling in!
    ( :lol: all the way to the bank)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    attention
    drummers
    arms
    drummers attention