Drumkit How-To: playing the shoop.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Brass Band Drummer, Mar 11, 2014.

1. I haven’t noticed any “How-To” threads on drums on the forum. Perhaps now is a good time to start having them.

A very important effect on drumkit is what many call the “shoop”, which seems as good a term as any for the effect produced when striking an open hi-hat then closing it – to make, well, a “shoop” sound. It really took off in the disco era, and it has remained popular. It occurs many times in the following performance by the Bee Gees of their masterpiece “Islands In The Stream”. In case I haven’t made clear what I mean, there is one shoop at 0.16 on the video time-counter, another at 0.34 .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nvR_7mJtMk

In this tune, the shoop starts on the and-stroke of 4 and ends on the 1 stroke in the next bar.

One point that interests me is that a lot of tutorial material on this effect shows the drummer striking the top hi-hat cymbal not only when it is up, but also at the point when the hats close. I myself play only the first of those strokes, with the hats open, and I allow the shoop-sound to be completed by the closing of the cymbals together. I do not play a stick-stroke on the 1.

I just wondered how others do this, and whether they see pros and cons of which I haven’t thought.

Enjoy the Bee Gees!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Drumkit How-To
    Islands In The Stream
    Bee Gees
    shoop-sound
    shoop starts
  3. By the way, "hi-hat glissando" is another possible terms for this, but I find it less descriptive and friendly.

4. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

You lost me after the word "noticed" :sup:sup

5. Well I've listened to Islands In The Stream hundreds of times, and I've never yet noticed the word "noticed" in there!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  6. weenie

weenie Member

I think all us drummers have different ways of doing this. In my case I tend to strike the hi hat with my stick upon closing it if I'm playing at a greater dynamic. But, if I am playing at say a mezzo piano or below, then I let the closing of the hi hats play themselves as it creates a more controlled action. It also depends on what hi hat cymbals you are using and how they behave when being played. Thinner hi hats work better when just closing with the pedal and no strike with the stick.