Drum sticks

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Di, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Di

Di Active Member

Hi all

My laddo seems to break his way through a large number of pairs of drums sticks. We've tried different makes, including "non-breakable" all nylon sticks. Granted, they DID last a little longer, but they did still break sooner or later.

Can anyone recommend a long lasting, reasonably priced stick and a good supplier?

Thanks.

2. weenie

weenie Member

Hello Di,

Personally I use Vic Firth 5B's. They're a great stick and can last for quite a while if they're used properly. What was he using before?

3. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Which stick is he breaking? Left hand (snare rim breakages?) or Right hand (hi-hat?)

4. Di

Di Active Member

He's used Vic Firths. I think his choice is a 5A. He's also used the Candian Head Hunters, which were quite good, but difficult to get hold of, stagg and one or two others. I recently bought him a set of 12 pairs of hickory sticks. He cleared out all odd old sticks from the bag and took 4 new pairs out to a gig. During sound checks he snapped one within the first minute and each stick, as soon as it was hit on a cymbal, the nylon tip went flying across the room! I glued all the tips in, but the sticks still break too easily, so he's refusing to use them. He's back on a pair picked up from their rehearsal studio at the moment.

Not 100% sure, but I think it's the cymbal hand he goes through them with. He likes a good thrash. ;) He's doing a gig tonight, so I'll pay attention and see which breaks first.

5. iaindrum

iaindrum Member

IVE USED EVERY TYPE OF STICK YOU CAN THINK OF AND THE LONGEST LAST STICK I HAVE USED IS PROMARK (not the cheap high street shop), EITHER THE AMERICAN HICKORY OR THE OAK AND I PROMISE YOU'LL FIND A HUGE DIFFERENCE.
    IAIN

6. Di

Di Active Member

Thanks. I've found a couple of retailers for these on the net. I was wrong, it's a 7A he uses. :rolleyes: Bit dubious about them though as the ones we just had were American hickory, advertised to last longer. Need to help him get his gear out to the car now, so will perhaps order him a couple of pairs of different things tomorrow and see which lasts the longest. ;)

7. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

5A/7A are both light sticks by some companies. ProMark is a good choice. So is the Vic Firth Indoor Marching sticks. So is playing a bit quieter.

Jim

8. Colin Gray

Colin Gray Member

Hi,

It might come down to technique and set up more than stick choice. His teacher should advize on grip but he may be gripping far to tight and playing with the arm rather than the wrist and fingers. The angle of his drums and cymbals could also be a factor to look at.

As for stick choice, i use Vic Firth or Vater, i personally do not rate Pro Mark sticks. If he likes the length of 7As, look for a stick the same length but a different taper towards the tip. Peter Erskine sticks by Vic Firth are a good alternative as are Fusion by Vater.

If you want to bring him down to Polysteel one night, i will have a quick look for you and see if i can help.

Best wishes

9. carbosticks or ahead sticks are a good alternative to good old fashioned hickory and they come in a quite a few sizes! i use vic firth peter erskine model, they last me quite sometime, however im not really a hard hitter. last time i broke a stick was in blitz at the areas! i got a bit over excited with some rim shots!

10. check out www.sticksdirect.com they do great deals on bulk buys on all major brands. really helpful too

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi allMy
    nylon sticks
    Drum sticks
    large number of pairs of drums sticks
    non-breakable
  12. Di

Di Active Member

Oh dear, he hasn't had a teacher in about 6 years. :frown: His set up could possibly by a contributory factor. I'm not sure I'll be able to get him to make the long journey down to Poly AND to sit quietly for two hours while you rehearse, but I could take some "action" shots of him playing at his gig tonight which may be able to give you an idea. Thanks.

Ah, carbosticks, could this be what I was talking about when I said nylon sticks? The bright colourful things you find on trade stands at contests? He's had a few pairs of those, and yes, some have lasted slightly longer than the wood sticks.

The pair that seem to have lasted the longest were, IIRC kind of "holograph" sticks, with a blue/silver holograph effect, and a black tip. He had them long enough for the blue/silver to fully wear off before one of the sticks finally gave up the ghost. Can't remember whether they were another trade stall purchase or from Drumbum in the states, where I've bought him a few novelty items from before. Problem with that is the extra cost of tax and petrol! having to drive 20 miles to the post office to collect.

It's beginning to look like Vic Firths are the favourites. :tup

Thanks chaps :biggrin:

13. Colin Gray

Colin Gray Member

Yeah, the trip does sound like a long one! If you and your crew are coming to a contest just come and grab me and i'll have a look for you. If you have video on your camera a quick clip might help!

A lot of shops usually do discount for multiple pairs and will deliver to your home. I have used all of these and have had no problems,

Footes, Wembley Drum Centre, Pro Perc - All London
    Drumwright - Reading
    Musicroom - Salisbury

I tried the carbo-stick once, i found they didn't flex as a "normal" stick should, if he is having problems with his grip/technique, i would avoid these.

Best wishes

14. Di

Di Active Member

Darn it! I forgot to take the camera with me last night.

When I gathered up his sticks at the end of the gig though, he'd been using a Vic Firth pair and a Nova by Vic Firth. Neither had snapped (yet!) but they were both splintering well where he'd been bashing the hell out of the cymbals. (BTW, did I mention this is rock banding, not brass banding where he breaks most of his sticks, does that perhaps explain a little? ). :rolleyes:

15. Colin Gray

Colin Gray Member

I had guessed this was rock band. Even playing heavier genres, he still shouldn't be breaking as many as he seems to. Where about on the stick does it generally break? I would avoid the Nova brand, they are basically quality seconds from the Vic Firth factory.

16. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

He still plays ****** loud in a brass band.....;)

17. Di

Di Active Member

Should have heard him with the orchestra tonight too! :eek:

18. Matt the Shed

Matt the Shed Member

tell him to stop hitting the bass trombone so hard...

....actually on second thoughts...

19. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Matt, I think its just you who does that........ :tongue:

20. JimboFB

JimboFB Active Member

I dont get all this stick business...dont you just hit it???

Its a drum for christ sake, nothing complicated......

Col, your stick knowledge is quite remarkable, but you are still weak.

21. Ali Woodman

Ali Woodman New Member

Easiest way not to break sticks is not to hit the bl**dy kit too hard!!!!

Seriosuly though, what is probably happening is that he is playing from his shoulders, gripping the stick too hard, putting too much weight through the stick or playing loads of rimshots. If he's gonna play loads of rimshots then sooner or later the shaft of the stick will take a pounding, become weak and snap, so too if he plays hard on the hi-hats with the shaft.

If you stick (sorry for the pun) to branded sticks, vic firth, vater, pro mark he'll not go wrong.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi allMy
    nylon sticks
    Drum sticks
    large number of pairs of drums sticks
    non-breakable