drum solos!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Naomi McFadyen, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Seeing as we have a thread on Percussion Solos I thought I'd start the Drum Solos thread... (or pieces that have decent solos throughout the piece)
    NOT Drummers Delight please ;-)

I like Goff Richards version of Strike up the Band. Great Kit stuff in that :D

Sing, sing, sing is good too- Bren does this a lot with Leyland- really brilliant!
  2. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Windows of the World is a good one for kit (well, more the first and last movements). Stuff like Light Walk is also good to play on kit (well i like playing it anyway!). The one i hate playing, though obviously will always have to, is the Floral Dance (ggrr, non stop high hats). Is it just me who hates playing it?!? :roll:
  3. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

I have written a new piece called Barock! which features both the kit and timps. Should be available from Wright and Round shortly.
  4. Naomi McFadyen

oh yes! Windows of the World is great for percussion over-all with lots of features for various instruments... I've played the tuned/timp parts...
    Pentium is also another good one by Peter Graham for perc...

I've played Light Walk; agree it's a good piece to play.

I hate Floral Dance as well and Lord of the Dance as well... it's just too cheesey for me! lol! :lol: I dont use hats all the time for it- I never read all drum parts as written as its only a guide- do some funky stuff on the ride cym! ;-)
  5. Naomi McFadyen

ooooo goody goody goody!
    Will be looking out for that... thanks! :D
  6. tubatu

tubatu Member

There's the Drum Solo at the end of Chorale and Rockout that goes down well, we recently performed this one with 2 players on 2 drumkits, lasted about 5 minutes!
  7. Railybobs

Railybobs Member

Cry of The Celts

Peter Graham's arrangement of the Lord of the dance stuff is good for perc. as a whole. I played it whilst at Salford. i've heard the ISB play it and both times 5 or 6 percussionists were used.

But....................... The piece is extremely demanding and is maybe in the Champ classification.
  8. jafe

jafe Member

oh yeah!! windows of the world is brill i played kit part for our band at our annual proms concert

gr8t drum cadenza in last movement
  9. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

If you're after an interesting kit part take a listen to a new piece I've just released on my website

SPRITZ by David Sullivan

Click on links below to visit site.

10. Naomi McFadyen

oooo, I will do :D
  11. Naomi McFadyen

... not bad Roger! not bad at all...
    Tell your friend David Sullivan I enjoyed listening to that a lot... find myself playing it through again! lol!
  12. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

We have a drum feature in our band called "Brassed Off!!!" - its a bit of fun for everyone to play.
  13. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

One of my new releases, 'Threnody for 9/11' is a stonker for Drums!!!!

I bet u'd have some fun with it, Naruco. You have to be a rock drummer to play it right, otherwise it sounds crap - without mincing my words!

If any of u drummers think ur upto the challege, why not buy it and see!!!! :lol:
  14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Faireys featured "The Heat of the Day" at the Best of British Brass in Birmingham - I think they may be repeating it at RAH on Saturday - and that showcased their drummer very well.

Another one is Barrie Gott's "Daniel": that includes provision for a drum solo that can be extended to suit the abilities of the drummer - or the patience of the audience!

Regarding "Lightwalk", I've heard that done quite effectively with a vibraphone taking one or two solo choruses in the middle, although the accompaniment needs to be pared down to let the sound come through.
  15. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

The SA piece Daniel is used as a drum solo feature by Johnny Whitmore the principal percussionist of the ISB and Regent Hall Band.
  16. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Top title! Is there going to be sequel called Rock-cocoa ???