Drum sizes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by animal.22, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Its amazing how little kit you can get away with in some circumstances. In a previous life I used to play jazz piano, and came across a drummer called Caroline Bowden from Dronfield. She had a tiny kit, snare, bass drum, hit hats and two cymbals. She could make it sound like a massive outfit, I had to keep looking round, trying to work out how she made such amazing sounds from such a minimalist kit.

2. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

The late, great Norrie Grundy regularly accompanied the Fulham Brass Ramblers with only a snare drum, a hi hat and a tambourine ("For special pieces like 'Tea for Two', Will"). Oh, and some sticks. If anyone ever felt anything was 'missing', I'd be amazed.

3. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

I would tend to take my full kit to concerts 12, 13, 14 rack toms, 16, 18 floor toms and my 14 x 8.5 snare, 15 hi-hats, 22 crash ride and 2 18 crashes. BTW did i mentioned I play with 3S Varter sticks?

4. animal.22

animal.22 Member

Are they lighter or heavier than Vick Firth 5AN ?

5. simonium

simonium Member

And are they anything like Vater sticks?! ;) they're tree trunks essentially, beloved of metal drummers determined to use heavier sticks than anyone else.

6. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

They are most probably the biggest and heaviest drum stick you can get if I'm honest......but I like them and its my own sound....not a brass band drummer sound by any means......which has been commented on before.....

7. animal.22

animal.22 Member

A guess al not bother wi them then coz av bin told am too evy anded anyroad ;) :hammer

8. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

I would say a fat 'clicky' kick drum would be best, a deep kick can be muffled.