Drum kits for brass bands!

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by JoeDrumTech, Mar 2, 2007.

1. JoeDrumTech

JoeDrumTech New Member

My band has just got a grant to get some new percussion gear, and i need to find out what drum kit and cymbals i am going to get with the money.

has anyone got any suggestions about what i could get? please try and include prices if you can!
  2. iaindrum

iaindrum Member

I think the best kit around at the moment is the Premeir XPK, its 100% maple shell and comes with die cast rims,I played drums pro for 7 years and always ended up paying a few grand on a top notch kit,however the Premier XPK is the only kit which is less than half the price of the top ends kits but sounds equally as good.
  3. JoeDrumTech

JoeDrumTech New Member

I have seen a Premier XPK and they do look like nice kits
    and i have heard plenty of good reports about them.

the one thing that bovas me is the hardware on them... it seems
    very lightweight...

and ill be chucking it in and out of vans at gigs...
    i dont want to end up having to replace hardware every 2 or 3 months
    just because its not up to standard.
    plus i dont have the money to do so!

i have looked at the Mapex Pro M kits though.
    these i have played before.
    they are great sounding drums and also about the same price as the
    Premier XPK.
    but they have great heavy duty hardware on them!
  4. paulspud

paulspud Member

Joe, if you want your hardware to last a bit longer, may I suggest placing them in the van after the concert rather than chucking them in....?
  5. Shed_Builder1

Shed_Builder1 New Member

personally, the kit i use at the moment is the premier artist birch and i have found it an extremley good sounding kit and fairly cheep. however, my advice to you is, it doesn't really matter what kit u get (but realistic) as long as you put good drum skins on them (remo pinstripe) i would rather spend a larger % on the cymbals, snaire drum and bass drum pedal. they are the parts of the kit the make the most difference in my eyes!
  6. Alan MacRae

Alan MacRae Member

I use the Yamaha Stage Custom Maple set - 20" bass, 10,12 and 14 toms, and all round Stagg cymbals on yamaha hardware. The Yamaha hardware is the sturdiest around, and the slightly smaller kist size means I can get it in and out the car easily. The in-between bass size also means it's versatile enough for jazz or rock, or anything else for that matter. Stagg cymbals are not as good as Zildjans, but are less than half the price, and are nice and solid, again for chucking it in the car.

Oh, and the Yamaha double bass pedal is an absolute MUST HAVE! :D
  7. iaindrum

iaindrum Member

I personally think that pearl do the most gigable hardware but to get a pearl maple or birch kit you will have to pay a lot more than other companies. So when it comes down to it would you rather have a great sounding kit or really heavy duty hardware. At the end of the day surely its the sound that counts. The premier hardware has recentley been updated so is heavy duty and road worthy.
    If you want to do a rehersal on a Premier XPK let me know and ill bring mine along for you to play on as i'm a mate of your M.D's.
  8. GJacko

GJacko Member

Sup Guys Why dont u just get hard cases for them?
  9. Shed_Builder1

Shed_Builder1 New Member

Hardcases are good but the protection on the inside of hardcases isnt at all good. I would suggest to get hardcases that are slightly too big and pad them out with foam/towel. This is what i did with my snare drum. I have had it for 4 years now n theres not a scratch on it! I use protection racket for main shells, as long as u dont literally throw them around they do more than enough to get my vote!
  10. Shed_Builder1

Shed_Builder1 New Member

how much have u got to spend? and what do u need exactly? kit, snare, hardware(stool, stands, pedals), cases? if u want a good deal the best place to go is Electro Music in Doncaster, always there to help and offer advice, cheapest place around and a wide range of new and second hand stuff!

11. MattB

MattB Member

We've recently got a new Mapex kit (don't know the model) and its fantastic. Cost about a grand, but looks brilliant and sounds lovely!
  12. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

We recently spent £800 on a Sonor 3005, in the Drum store you should wave your wad about to encourage the retailer to upgrade things for you. We got a piccolo snare worth £280 and some hardware thrown in because we were going to take our business elsewhere. I must agree tho, invest in some quality skins, they are after all what you hit!