Drum Kit Solos!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by YellowTubs, Mar 28, 2007.

1. YellowTubs

YellowTubs New Member

I've been looking for a while, but not getting much success.

Anyone know of any GOOD drum kit solo pieces for band??

I'm talking good stuff mind, not the Miller Magic/Marching the blues "dit der derrr dit der derrr diddly didly dit der derrr" stuff. ("Ooh lets get that one out, it'll give the drummer something to do", oh thank ee koind sorr, tip my cap, etc)

Not bad when I was 14, but a bit tiresome now.....

2. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Can't help I'm afraid, but I thought I'd say most people in an audience don't like drum solos. Unless they've gone to to see Buddy Rich or the like. Apart from the cheese type pieces you've mentioned. ( I was a drummer, once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away). ;)
  3. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

4. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Ol' Man River arranged by Mark Freeh can accommodate a drum solo.

For Salvation Army cheesetastic music there is Daniel (Barrie Gott)
  5. jamieow

jamieow Member

Strike up the band - you could kind of edit it to incorporate a full couple of minutes solo - did a version of it a good few years ago at NFMY at Birmingham Symphony Hall - If I remember correctly we kind of cut somewhere in the middle into a kit solo for a couple of minutes then back into the piece - solo was 'in time' so as not to muck up the re entry of the band.
  6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

It has been known to insert a Drum Solo in a convenient spot in Chorale and Rock Out, Born Free and James Bond Collection.

Not that I could condine such a flagrant breach of copyright...

Then of course, there's "Drummer's Delight" :eek:
  7. Drum Kit Solo's

There seems to be only a small amount of drum kit stuff out there, Sing sing sing is really good and I have played it a lot, however its usually best just to ask the conductor to allow you to put one in. If you do the windows of the world suite their is a BIG kit solo in the last movement that I did at uni and was allowed to have some fun with that one.

However I would be interested if people think there should be more Drum kit solos!..

If you have a suggestion for a Solo Please Email

Writemeasolo@jasonpoulston.com and I will see if I can either write one or have one commissioned.
  8. jamieow

jamieow Member

Moby Dick
  9. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

For a youth/lower section band there is 'Brassed Off' by Darrol Barry which is a kit feature.
  10. Texus

Texus Member

Reminds me of the old gag - "Drums stop - very bad - Bass solo!"
  11. Lewis Chris

Lewis Chris Member

There is a piece called 'cute' which is quite good, not strictly a solo but fantastic kit feature all the way through pretty much.
  12. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Neal Hefti, arr. Philip Sparke - we're playing it at a concert tomorrow. We couldn't have a run through on Monday because John didn't have his "jazz sticks" whatever they are :confused:
  13. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

Sing Sing Sing has some percussion solos, timps and kit i think
  14. Tub Thumper

Tub Thumper Member

Sing, Sing, Sing & Cute!
  15. tubagod

tubagod Member

16. radox

radox New Member

Opening of Year of the Dragon - just whack the semis in the gaps. :oops:
  17. ju33les

ju33les Member

Manhattan Spiritual - arr T Paton

One of Eric Delaney's standards...although you would have to share the glory with the Timp player too......:)

ROBTHEDOG Member

Years ago Robert Coates (based in Dudley Birmingham) did an arrangement for Jones & Crossland of the famous Buddy Rich version of Norwegean Wood... Big Timp and Kit blast.. Don't think it was ever published but maybe someone from the Black Country might know if Bob Coats is still around??

Otherwise there's always Little Lisa -- how' your sandpaper blocks
  19. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

"All in the April Evening".......I have been doing this as a "suprise" drum feature when I help out other bands. I keep my intentions a secret from the MD and the band just to breath a bit of fresh air in to this rather tired old piece. Last time I did it the MD was in complete shock for a few minutes afterwards but he came up to me after the gig cyring tears of joy and said "what the F... was that?"....yep.....it was THAT GOOD!
  20. iaindrum

iaindrum Member

Strike up the banda a great tune and you can knock some top rhythms into it.

Sing sing sing is ok but is quite repetitive

Cute is great for some big band work, however it is all brush work