Drum and Brass - a new concept

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by timbloke, Aug 6, 2003.

1. timbloke

timbloke Member

When I'm not playing in brass bands which is almost everyday at the moment, i like nothing better than..

1) turning on the stereo and blasting out a few tunes. Occasionally if i'm in the right mood a bit of Drum&Bass, mainly the more chilled out jazz cross over beats, "worldwide" as Gilles Peterson would say. Mr Scruff, John B, 4 Hero, Jazzanova and the rest.

2) attempting to arrange/write some music for band. So far i've started writing about 372 pieces most of which are up to about 5 bars long.

So here's the plan....

Combine the two and create the phenomenon of Drum&Brass... Imagine it, the perc. section would have a field day. Basses could play some seriously funky 8) and interesting bass lines. And then the rest can sort of mingle in and out of all that ambient top stuff that goes on, recreating those sample heavy tunes with various wierd effects on mutes and other such things. And hey presto an underground hit that one day surfaces to the mainstream clubs :bounce after a remix by Norman Cook or Groovrider or somesuch.

Questions....

- has it been done before and to any success....?

- would it be a success or a waste of time....?

- what are the chances of me actually writing any....?

- would David Dickenson make a good Dr Who.... :?:

Just to give you something to ponder on.

2. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

What happened to your arrangement of 'One and One'? I quite liked it.

3. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

have you heard acid brass?

4. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Yes, there already is stuff like this, as Neil Twist said, check out Acid Brass (Faireys). Also, on our recent CD the Alchymist's Journal, we recorded lots of weird and wonderful stuff, including the track "Headbanger". Has a lovely bass trom part :wink:

5. bladder

bladder Member

Cornets playing Funk/Jazz? Do behave

6. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Anyone who was at this year's European Championships might remember Oystein Baadvik's antics on a tuba..

7. onedrummeruk

onedrummeruk Member

I have been having a look at MP3's on the net and came across a group called Youngblood Brass Band, its not a full band as we know it, but it may give some ideas.

http://www.youngbloodbrassband.com/site/

there are 10 little squares on the bottom left of the screen which are the mp3s of there music.

Another suggestion if you do this is get any recordings done properly and NOT with the usual BB recording people, for this to work properly it really does need balancing etc properly, not just all grouped together in the nearest town hall with half the band sounding like they are playing in the bog.

8. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

- Again see Acid Brass, I've a recording if you would like to borrow it when i'm back in Sheffield

- Could quite possibly be a success if you approached the right type of band to play it through. A younger ensemble would possibly be more receptive.

- Virtually nil. Although you did manage to get that Robert Miles thing finished........... I dunno, ask your local fishmonger

- NO WAY!!!

Quite an interesting concept though...............

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It would certainly give a new twist to the slogan "The future's orange", wouldn't it :?: :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:

10. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

What about Hip-Sop . . . . it's the same as Hip-Hop but done by Soprano players. :!:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    bit
    Drum
    concept
    Brass
    Drum&Bass
  12. amgray

amgray Member

CALLING ALL PLAYERS!!!

If you haven't followed this link yet GO FOR IT!!!
    Excellent playing, almost a new Genre especially the track Bloodshot.
    Great link Mark!!!!