Dropping in from North Carolina, USA

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ncmike, Mar 20, 2007.

1. ncmike

ncmike New Member

I happened upon this forum from seeing it mentioned in The Trombone Forum ( http://tromboneforum.org/index.php ).
    I'm from Waynesville, North Carolina in the States, which is located in the beautiful Smoky Mountains of the Western part of our state, and home to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, the most visited national park in the US.
    I belong to two community bands whose websites I maintain:
    www.ashevillecommunityband.org and www.haywoodcommunityband.org
    I also play in a swing band and a dixieland band.
    I play trombone, and just the other day received my new King 2103PLG (otherwise known as the King 3B Plus w/Gold Bell). I use a Bach 6 1/2 AL mouthpiece and/or a Bach 12C, depending on what I'm playing. Before that I had to do with a Conn Director (a student model), so I'm really happy to be playing my new horn. It is great, by the way, with a wonderful responsiveness, and smooth slide action.
    I am 63 years old, but no old fogey;) . I had not played my trombone for 34 years until last Spring, a year ago, when I joined the Haywood Band, and after awhile wondered why I had stopped playing those many years ago. It has given me a new joy to my life, and I love playing again.
    I see this is mainly a British Band site, but let me tell you...I have always admired the British love for its wind bands. I wish our communities supported our bands like yours do. I have been to England once, and Scotland three times (last name McDonald), and absolutely LOVE your island.
    Anyway, good to be aboard, and I hope that not only can I learn something here, but can contribute some wisdom myself.
    If you'd like to hear what the Asheville Community Band sounds like, you can go to http://www.ashevillecommunityband.org/acbmembers.htm scroll down to underneath the members list to see some examples you can download.
    This is a large band of some 90 members, and is quite good.

Thanks for having me.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Smoky Mountains
    Western
    USA
    States
    Great Smoky Mountain National Park
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hey Mike - a big :hi to tMP, you are very welcome here and thanks for dropping by.

You seem to be a very busy player - must be enjoying it a lot... if you don't mind my quoting you - not bad for an old fart eh :):)

4. ncmike

ncmike New Member

I guess you can say that, as you're not such a youngster yourself. ;)
    But I AM 20 years older than you, so I can say whatever the heck I want, 'cause I'm old. (It's expected isn't it?)
    Anyway, I see you're into synthesizers (I assume synth means the same in England). I have been an electronic music fan from day one. I used to own over 200 electronic music LP's going back to when it was called "concrete" music (where they recorded real sounds, and then played around with them). I once had Vladamir Ussachevsky (spelling??) critique a composition of mine in college, and lived in the same town as Morton Subotnik (Santa Fe, New Mexico). I now live near Asheville, NC, home of the Moog Synthesizer factory. Robert Moog lived here until his death in 2005 (and then he moved). So I have a love and fascination with the genre...always have.
    Anyway...I added some more info over on that other topic, so you can see what else I'm up to. (probably no good).
    Thanks for your welcome.

5. ncmike

ncmike New Member

By the way...I mentioned that I got your URL from somebody posting on a forum that I'm active in, so I'd like to point it out again...The Trombone Forum. http://tromboneforum.org/index.php It's international, and high end professional trombonists from all over the world contribute to it, as well as us journeymen, so if any of you trombone players out there want top notch information about anything regarding the trombone...this is the place to be.
    Okay...that's my plug.

6. Di

Di Active Member

Hi and another :hi from me too.

By all means, plug away... we have a links area here where you're quite welcome to add a link to The Trombone Forum.

Happy surfin'. :)

7. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Welcome to tMp! You come from a very nice part of the US - I had a small team working for me in Charlotte - one of them lived in near Kings Mountain so I got to spend some time in the Ashville area. Didn't get to hear your band ever though!

8. ncmike

ncmike New Member

Thanks. Yes, it is a beautiful part of the US. Glad you got to see it. The mountains had snow on top the other day...beautiful sight.
    But I love the English garden too. :D

9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

We're not all English here you know though!! :)

10. ncmike

ncmike New Member

Ah, sorry. I should have said British gardens. I know how sensitive an issue that is. I would also like to include Irish gardens in that statement as well. (did I leave anybody out?)
    Actually my favorite place is Scotland.

11. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Welcome too from a Canadian living west of Toronto; originally from London, England.

We have family in Atlanta, Fredericksburg and Roanoke and have travelled through your beautiful region several times (and will do so again in July).

As an aside, wonderful news from your corner of the world this morning with the rescue of the young lad lost in the mountains for nearly 4 days. AWESOME!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Smoky Mountains
    Western
    USA
    States
    Great Smoky Mountain National Park
  13. ncmike

ncmike New Member

Yeah, great news about the boy scout!
    If you ever want to spend some time in these parts (about 20 miles west of Asheville), let me know, and I'll be glad to be your personal guide.
    Took a trip up in your part of the world a few years back...Quebec, Toronto, Laurentian Mountains and environs. You live in a lovely place too.