Dronfield Entertainments Contest Sat 18/09/10

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by tubafran, Sep 17, 2010.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Is this one of the best kept secrets in the banding contest calendar?

An entertainment contest for 3 invited bands but no publicity on here, 4bar, IBEW Facebook or anywhere else I could find except here

52nd year - anyone else know about it other than members of the 3 bands taking part?

Only spotted it due to a comment on a friends Facebook status, unfortunately having been to this event in the past I wont be there for a listen this year as Ive agreed to play for another band tomorrow night.

Any way good luck to the bands taking part Stannington, Matlock and Shirland
  2. IJK

IJK Member

I agree Fran I only knew it was coming up due to a facebook status this week.

And its on your bands door step as well.
  3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

not that far from your bands either :)

Perhaps its more a case of "who you know" than what you know about it
  4. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

I always wonder why Dronfield and other local bands don't get asked. Especially as it is run by the local council?

We have done it for about 9 years in a row now (as i'm sure you know Fran - we often see you sitting at the back)..............simply because they keep asking us back!!
  5. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Although to be fair.....we did win a giant marrow last year at this contest. Beats any trophy!

Hoping for a large head of Broccoli this year :)
  6. IJK

IJK Member

This is something we at Ireland have put to the local council as there is a number of bands on the door step. But with little response.
  7. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

I'm sure they'd give you marrows too if you asked nicely :)
  8. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Aren't these 3 competing bands all in different sections?
  9. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I think you may be right there and its open, but how else is the adjudicator supposed to work out which one has won? ;)
  10. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

Dronfield (INVITATION) Entertainment Contest 2010

Who will be adjudicating this contest of three brass bands, anyone know ???????

11. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

According to our secretary when we asked her on Thursday night it's.......A Man!!!!
  12. HowarthBrass

HowarthBrass Member

Perhaps if someone from one of the competing bands this year, offered their services to help the council with the organization of invitations/advertising etc., there maybe a larger entry of bands next year.
    You can't expect the council, who probably know nothing about brass bands, to do everything!
  13. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I think someone highlighted that this was an "invitation" contest there has only ever been 3 bands taking part.

In the past it was a regular trio of Nottingham Transport, Riddings and Stannington. The first two bands no longer being in existence and other bands that have taken part (that Ive heard) are Carlton Main and Blidworth.
  14. yoda

yoda Member

Thoresby and Rhodian Brass have also taken part in the past.

They always seemed to try and invite higher section bands and in the distant past they had a 3rd and 4th section own choice test piece during the day
  15. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

1st Stannington
    2nd Shirland Welfare
    3rd Matlock

16. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

If I remember rightly this contest probably doesn't need promoting because the Council bus in a large number of aged sweet wrapper rustlers....
  17. timbloke

timbloke Member

From what I remember it is more of a concert featuring three fairly high profile local bands, with the cover of a contest to make it sound more appealing to the bands. There has not been a band lower than 2nd section for a number of years, and I guess this snobbery towards the section of the band means the likes of Ireland and Dronfield won't be invited for a few years. It is usually a good night with some fine playing, but I doubt there would be any desire to increase the number of bands at the contest as it would make the evening too long for the average audience member.

Some years ago it was sponsered by VK (the drinks company) and I'm sure I remember one old lady winning a crate of various flavours of VK. I'm sure they would have had quite a party on the bus back to the old peoples home.
  18. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

some of the funniest sweet wrapper rustlers you come across - always wait for the delicate quiet bit then pass the bag down the row for extra effect - one year it went that far I thought they were going to pass the bag to the adjudicator :sup
  19. timbloke

timbloke Member

Reminds me of Wychavon a few years ago when the adjudicator sat at the back noisily unwrapping sweets in the middle of a bands performance!
  20. yoda

yoda Member

Which Nursing Home did they bus him in from ?