Drinking

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by maestO_SO_musical, Oct 19, 2007.

1. I have a problem - being 13 (under the legal drinking age), I don't have a clue what to do when my band go for a traditional drink after/inbetween concerts/contests - HELP!!!

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Take some friends along to keep you company.

3. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

get a non alcoholic drink and still join in with the convisations! it can be a lot more fun when you are sober and others are drunk! especially if you have a camera with you :)

4. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

have a beer, but don't let the landlord (or the conductor) notice !

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- especially the conductor (... if he happens to be your school teacher as well!) :oops: :oops:

6. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

I used to go with them and drink lemonade. Our juniors tend to do the same. We won't allow them to drink alcohol anyway as it would violate our child protection policy. Ocassionally if the contest is being held in a leisure centre (which happens quite a lot round here) the juniors go swimming.

7. that's good advice! judging by some notice boards in the bandroom, I think that some people have done that before!

8. cornet1991

cornet1991 New Member

dont drink and if u have a little one dont show it

9. This may sound a little bit novel, but why not take the opportunity to listen to some of the other bands in the contest?

None of us like playing to an empty hall, and no matter how badly we expect the other bands in our section to play (obviously we're the best!), we can always learn something from the other performances - about other choices of music, or how another band sounds, or even about the accoustics of the stage we have to play on, and how different the sound of a band is from off the stage!
    It can even be enjoyable, just occasionally!

If you have a bandsman's ticket - even better - you don't have to pay any more to get in! There's more to banding than drinking and "we was robbed!"

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  10. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

This is not a bad idea, particularly after you've played so you can relax properly (early draws can have their uses :) ) I always used to take my school homework into the hall, find a nice empty spot and settle in for an hour or two. Tended to get good grades doing homework under contest conditions too. Not exactly sure why that should work but it certainly did for me.

As for concerts, does everyone else get falling down drunk at these things? I've not experienced that. I think as long as the majority are still reasonably sensible you can still join in and have an enjoyable time, and drink soft drinks.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    inbetween concerts
    traditional drink
    legal drinking age
    band
    contests - HELP
  12. MissRepiano

MissRepiano New Member

Depending on where you're contesting, theres usually some shops to look in, and whenever i've contested theres been some amusement arcade fairly close too, dance machines and bowling are always good fun! oooooh and crazy golf!

13. cornet1991

cornet1991 New Member

ye the last post is good advice i mean the last contest i went to was at birmingham and there wasnt many shops exactly but there was like a load of grass so a few of us decided to go and play football. Or if not then take your mobile, and play some games or something, but when ur playing make sure it is off and make sure there is no alarms set. (bad experiences)

14. alunplugged

alunplugged New Member

going back to the original topic

im only 14 and i went off drinking in the nationals and it was great fun

i didn't get that drunk tho but it was fun to watch others being drunk

15. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

There are shops in Birmingham! Was up there with my wind band in July and we were shopping for hours! Admittedly it isn't that good though...

As for drinking, if you have friends in the band the age gap doesn't matter. I agree with those who have said go along with them but just have Coke or something, you will probably find that one or two others aren't drinking either.

16. jcowensEb

jcowensEb Member

well im 15 but i started contesting at 13,whilst most of the band are in the bar,i normally just go and listen to some of the other bands,then after the contest i just have 1 or 2 drinks.

17. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

You could do blasterbates' signature, just slightly altered.

Blow things hard, then drink ginger beer and say things

18. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Just drink anyway, you'll not be the first and certainly not the last minor to be led to the dark side by the banding movement...anyway its fun! :biggrin:

19. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Of course we're not here on a public site encouraging under age drinking are we????

Go have a coke, and enjoy the banter it's not all about the amount of alcohol you can get in your system!

20. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

When i went to contests my dad used to ask for a pint of weak bitter shandy and say it was for someone who was driving;) my mate and i used to hide so the bar person could not see who it was for ,but my dad and his dad used to get 2 bottles of coke as well just in case some one saw us drinking the weak shandy they would come back with a pint and 2 empty half pint glasses to share the pint into.:clap:
    But now i enjoy the real stuff itself .
    Have a look at my
    Drinking at the moment thread i started some time ago.

21. and

and New Member

Yeah, Im proud to say didnt touch the stuff in my younger years and was gratefull to the old man for the bags of crisps and lemonade i used to get. Things are sorely different these days though. Keep away from the amber nector as long as u can!!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    inbetween concerts
    traditional drink
    legal drinking age
    band
    contests - HELP