Drink Tasting

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Mrs Womble, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

Just sat here thinking as you do on a thursday night! as I was just thinking "wouldn't it be fun to start up a drink tasting thread"? It would be a bit like wine tasting but instead of wine we could have any alcohol drink. What do you all think?? a good idea or not???
    :guiness :guiness :guiness

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Drink Tasting
    wine tasting
    drink tasting thread
    alcohol drink
    guiness
  3. HBB

HBB Active Member

I'm getting Charcoal and Juniper Berries...

4. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

Cos we only drink Sandy down in Hampshire that is a drink right???

5. HBB

HBB Active Member

I dunno! I get confused when the text is above the quote :cry:

6. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

Ok done some research on how to taste!!! ALSO if one person picks the drink that's what we all have to try!:shock:

1. Consider the apperance and note the colour, foam (if any) and clarity.

2. Swirl drink gently and consider the aroma; describe the character of the aroma and it's intensity

3. Ready to taste? take a sip and ensure it covers all areas of the mouth!

4. Consider the taste mouthful and aftertaste and mark the character and intensity

5. Clean palate well between samples with water and/or dry unsalted biscuits OR if you like it down it in one!

6. Evaluate the quality; is the drink faulty or good?

NOTE: having tasted the drink yoiu may swallow or spit; which ever you choose, it is recommended that you do not drive after tasting session!:-?

OK thats the serious guide on how to taste but i'll work on some that will suit all of us lot better!!!;)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  7. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

Cos we only drink shandy down in hampshire that is a drink right??? is that a bit better for you?? LOL

8. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Excellent work sister!!

Will be happy to contribute from my vast experience of tasting real ale.

Tonight I have been drinking "Bombardier"(Charles Wells , Bedford).A superb session bitter.Hoppy but light with an aromatic aftertaste - high notes are not harsh and has a pleasing moderate depth.Six of those and I am going to bed a happy camper.

As for "Swallow or spit" - this may require a separate thread.

9. six pints

six pints Active Member

im on pimms and im not a rah

. Consider the apperance and note the colour, foam (if any) and clarity.

looks good, smells good, clarity about 4/10 (from swimming pool experience)

2. Swirl drink gently and consider the aroma; describe the character of the aroma and it's intensity

aroma means smell i think. smells nice still!

3. Ready to taste? take a sip and ensure it covers all areas of the mouth!

yummy!!

4. Consider the taste mouthful and aftertaste and mark the character and intensity

brill, and it was on offer at asda!!

5. Clean palate well between samples with water and/or dry unsalted biscuits OR if you like it down it in one!

down in one!!!

6. Evaluate the quality; is the drink faulty or good?

its goood!!!

NOTE: having tasted the drink yoiu may swallow or spit; which ever you choose, it is recommended that you do not drive after tasting session!

swallow!!

i nkow that thtat wasnt the point but im pished!!

10. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Ah, you must all take a trip to 'the Crescent pub' in Salford. In fact its not just a pub, its a way of life!!!

They have numorous of fantastic guest ales every week, all worth trying!!!

I personally reccomend their 'Thirsty Moon!' Incredible!!

If you fancy a seasonal ale, last christmas they were serving a tasty little beverage called 'Rudolphs Rocket Fuel!!!' It is exactly how it sounds!! Dangerously strong!!!

11. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

>>is the drink faulty

Sorry, you've lost me there - is that if you accidentally taste something non-alcoholic.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Drink Tasting
    wine tasting
    drink tasting thread
    alcohol drink
    guiness
  13. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I tend to find that all the above sensations savoured from the sampling of your favourite tipple are infinitely more pleasureable during intake than 4 hours later when it's all coming out again (cos stale beer and carrots don't come down a nostril that well really). :-D

14. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

That's generally true, but not necessarily when applied to Pink Aftershocks, which taste pretty blo0dy awful first time round too.

15. Chris Sanders

My body cannot handle non-alchoholic!!!

Just got back from the finals, spent most of saturday in the Goat attempting to force down the raw sewage that passes for beer in that part of the world??? Had four ales on tap, all absolutely unbearable, ended up on Newcastle Brown because its bottled!!!

So glad to be back in Manchester sampling the antidote!!!
    (Goin for a few pints of Moonraker!)

16. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Perhaps we ought to have a meeting of this drink tasting club in Prestatyn where we all sample the same beverages and discuss the aforementioned criteria.

PJH

17. Chris Sanders

Unfortunatley the drink in Pontins is of a rather poor quality, also it is expensive!! However, as is tradition at Pontins weekend, I shall still drink til I bleed!!!

18. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

A few suggestions for your delictation...

1. Carlsberg Special Brew - I've been drinking this tonight. It's something of an aquired taste, but altogether very lovely.

2. Double Vodka and Guinness - A rather fruity mixture, invented partly in cooperation with Miss C Twigge.

3. Sambuca (Flaming) - Were you at Easingwold? Well then you wont need an explanation... otherwise, ask a Twigge.

4. Red, White and Blue - 3 shots. Red Aftershock, Tequila, Blue Aftershock... Tried this one the other night, I believe I nearly died... That'll teach me to drink with someone from the navy...

19. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I must say I do like the Bombardier suggested by Mr Baritone Elvis, I remember drinking it in a pub in Paris....very nice indeed.
    As for Lynchie's ideas: The guiness/vodka....that was only a suggestion, I didn't actually try it....and the sambuca, it's yummy flamming or not.

I'd certainly be up for a bit of pontins alcohol tasting though......

20. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

Must try cheeky vimto - 1/2 pint a time, 50/50 WKD and Port! A most excellent night cap :-D

21. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Been done. Well, sort of. Used to know a chap (actually not a brass player, a luvvie) who drank Guinness with a gin Depth Charge. Tried it once and the taste alone made me ill.
    BMB
    xx

22. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I invented the "Wodka" one morning after a heavy night before.

It was Wine, Orange squash and Vodka, it was disgusting but it was all we had left in the house and I needed a "hair of the dog" apporach that day. It definately did the trick