Dreaded "3 red rings of death" hardware fault on X-Box 360

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Jan 27, 2008.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Lloyd tells me that his X-Box has developed this fault that had been so prevalent on MS X-Box's. I am guessing that MS will ask me the age of the unit and I wondered how do I establish this...? Jen and I bought one for Lloyd a while ago and it has developed that "3 red rings of death' hardware fault and we want to find out how to get this fixed.

I am guessing that when I call MS tomorrow, they are going to ask me how old the unit is (it's more than 2 yrs old), but I am sure I read that someone somewhere mentioned that MS are fixing these issues free of charge because the hardware failure is so prevalent.

As I know next to nothing about the X-Box, thought I'd ask in here... [​IMG] Cheers all.
  2. Forest Gump

Forest Gump Member

Dont know too much about the fault but people sell ways off fixing it on e-bay. (Been looking to buy a xbox 360 second hand).
  3. TheMusicMan

Sounds interesting... any links to where these 'fixes' can be found please...?
  4. andyp

andyp Active Member

You don't need any dodgy "fixes" just ring 0800 587 1102 (may queue a bit!) and arrange for Microsoft to take it away and fix it.

This is so common they are used to doing it. May take 3-6 weeks though. The above is their official number (is in back of manual).

Our IT bulletin board at work is chocca with people with this problem.
  5. TheMusicMan

Thanks Andy... will do so in the morning.
  6. Pav

Pav Member

I think they extended the warranty to 3 years.

Ring MS up, they'll send you some courier stickers out. Phone the courier, they pick it up and you wait and then wait some more.

Ours died about 3 weeks ago. Took about 2 weeks to get it back.
  7. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Can't resist it.

Send it back to MS and then go to Game and buy a PS3. :)
  8. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

absolutely, was put off the 360 after my brothers' and also one of my mates' died like this. not had any issues with the ps3, even though it was ex display! And blu ray films ... WOW!
  9. Pav

Pav Member

What are the respective prices like these days? PS3 wasn't an option for me when it came out. Far too expensive. I know it's closer in price to the x-box now.

Also depends on whether you're interested in HD DVD/Blu Ray, I suppose.
  10. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

The prices of a top spec 360 elite and the 40Gb PS3 are roughly the same, about £300. Lower spec 360 packages are still significantly cheaper. 360 has a huge library of title whereas PS3 is still somewhat limited. What there is for the PS3 is on the whole pretty good.

As for HD movies. I'm afraid that HD-DVD is basically dead in the water. Such a shame as it was the better format from a technical point of view. However, Sony have managed to leverage the greater support from the major studios with Warner Bros jumping to their side just before CES show in early January. Toshiba and their supporters will have a huge fight to overtake Blu-rays lead now. With the prices of the latest Blu-ray players dropping by the day it looks like Sony have won this one. Other than the PS3 though, they still haven't brought a machine to market which can do all the interactive stuff or allow firmware upgrades. HD-DVD could do all that from day one.

Now that Sony appear to have won the HD format war expect to see them devoting more resources to positioning the PS3 as a home media machine and finally delivering on some of those early promises made for it.
  11. hicks

hicks Member

Yes, and also bear in mind that the 40GB PS3 sacrifices backwards compatibility with PS2, which limits choice of games.
  12. Bungle

Bungle Member

What is interesting about 'red ring of death' is it is also famous for being the first major item of domestic equipment to have a problem caused by using lead free solder. Lead in solder was banned from electronic equipment in the UK (with some exceptions) in July 2006 under the restriction of hazadous substances act. Lead free solder has to be heated to a higher temperature (along with the component), is more brittle under vibration and thermal changes and tin plating on component leads can grow whiskers and electrically short pins together. Even now not all the problems of using lead free solder have been ironed out, so don't expect your electronic gadgets to be as reliable as in 2005.
  13. TheMusicMan

Is it really lead free solder that causes this issue?
  14. Bungle

Bungle Member

Teach a wise man and he shall become wiser.
  15. TheMusicMan

Well, this man may not be a wise man to start with, but I am wiser now :) Cheers for that.
  16. MissRepiano

MissRepiano New Member

My brother did this and when he got it back after 3 weeks it still wasn't working so he's sent it away again!! He isn't happy!