Dr Charles Collins.....

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sugarandspice, Aug 3, 2006.

1. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

.....Advanced lip Flexibilities (trumpet)

Has anyone else used this book? I have always practiced with the Ridgen book, "how brass players do it" but only recently (last week) started to get to grips with this book, and its fantastic!
    I can already notice a vast improvement in my range and its just much easier and more comfortable playing higher register stuff.....I wont even get started on my amazing super G's! ;)

Really would recomend it!

2. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

This book is the shiz....
    Its unbelievabale the difference it makes.. I didnt really notice till me MD kept asking if I'd been practicing!

Its hard work (esp. on sop) but well worth the purchase.

3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Agreed. A fabulous book.

4. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Is it just for trumpet/cornet or is it worth using for lower brass too?

5. dickyg

dickyg Member

It was always the standard book for developing range and flexibility when I was at college. It will make a difference if used regularly. (particularly books 1 and 3)

My old Trumpet teacher David James used to use it as part of a 'Holy Trinity' along with the Arban and a kamikase book of extended studies called" Top tones for Trumpeter" (those were the days)

One of the key things about the Charles Collin is it makes you get a higher note towards the end of a breadth without 'resetting' your chops like some players tend to do. So when you come to play a high note with a full breath it suddenly seems much easier (honest guvnor!)

Book three is also a great way to learn how to lip trill, (if that turns you on I suppose)

good luck

6. cookie2

cookie2 Member

I used it a lot when I was at Uni, as my teacher also had a 'holy trinity' that involved this, the Arban and an Alan Vizzutti one.

It is indeed a cracking book, keep going with it - wish I had! :redface: I occasionally blow the dust off it when I've got time for a really thorough practice, but I always use the first few at the end of my warm-up.

7. sugarandspice

Well i'm a euphonium player and it's working for me! :D

8. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

So was I, and I used it following a recommendation from players of all sorts of instruments....

9. sugarandspice

Well i guess its like the Arban being called "the cornet method"- You name me a brass instrument that can't benefit from it! ;)

Do we have any recommendations of any arban type technique improving books then?

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Bugle ? . . . Post horn? . . . Cavalry trumpet?

;)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Charles Collins
    Trebuchet MS
    COLOR
    FONT
    Ridgen book
  12. Flugelmahorn

Flugelmahorn Member

I've found the three Allen Vizzutti trumpet method books to be really good as an alternative to the Arban. Not that hard to track down either.

13. sugarandspice

Theres always one isn't there! :p

14. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Or three in this case! :)

15. Anon_User

Anon_User New Member

Dont they all have the same fundamental principles as the cornet/trumpet et al in that they all require embouchure,breath,intonation and tongueing??? Surely there ARE some pages within the Arban/Allen Vizutti/Chuck Collins books that would benefit these players??!!?!?!?! I have a Collins compilation excersise book compiled from his various studies and I must admit the excersises are tricky but can deffo vouch that they do improve your playin and endurance........ not that I do much playin these days!!!

16. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

Yes I agree it´s a fine book.. But I think you should work with your flow on the instrument before using these execises...

A suggestion for dailey Basics could be:
    1. Flow studies - Vincenct Cicowicz (to find your best sound)
    2. Scales to improve range (played with your best sound)

(I use these scales - Click here to see and print)
    http://www.jacoblarsen.eu/downloads/Major%20Scales%20for%20Bb%20Trumpet%20-%20Jacob%20Larsen.pdf

3. Chaz Colins (played with your best sound)
    4. Articulation No. 16-22 in Arban (played with your best sound)
    5. remember ALWAYS TO PLAY WITH YOUR GOOD SOUND... Don´t practise
    bad playing.. Take lots of breakes to ensure that your sound is your best
    sound AT ALL TIMES...

Remember to use maouthpiece playing for many shot periods (f.eks practice high stuff an octave below on instrument - Then sing it and play it on mouth piece. Then on instrument till it sound the very best you can.. And then in the right octave... Do this over many days.. )

When I studied at the conservatorie in Århus we were taught the "Chicago way" of playing brass... And it works...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
    ROBTHEDOG likes this.
  17. sugarandspice

Ordered from my lovely boys at trevada :)

18. alanbry

alanbry Member

When I restarted playing after a break of nearly 30 years I was getting nowwhere with Arban until I discovered the Collins method.

SIMPLY THE BEST!

19. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

I got this but it says it's by Charles Colin, not Collins, presume it's the same one?

20. JamesResurgam

JamesResurgam Member

Less of the "old"!!!!!!!!!!!

I can still play through all the studies from Top Tones in one practice............................
    In my dreams. The diaphragm has now slipped to just above the knees.
    Kind regards Richard.

DJ

21. dickyg

dickyg Member

A whole generation have missed out on what can only be described as 'the religion'!

Glad to see you are still around!!!!

R

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Charles Collins
    Trebuchet MS
    COLOR
    FONT
    Ridgen book